[Pollinator] Fwd: [beemonitoring] Re: Something New To Worry About?

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Wed Apr 22 18:54:13 PDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cane, Jim <Jim.Cane at ars.usda.gov>
Date: Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 9:24 AM
Subject: RE: [beemonitoring] Re: Something New To Worry About?
To: Peter Bernhardt <bernhap2 at slu.edu>

 Hey Peter- I have not seen the papers either, but offhand the logic seems
all backwards.  Shouldn’t the question be about what resources a pollen
grain needs to do its thing, and how to package that?  The former seems
obvious.  The latter comes to mind for a lot of buzz-pollinated pollens,
which tend to be dry with little pollenkitt (so the respond to buzzing?),
and so their contents are concentrated.  Or so I expect.  Since there has
yet to be evidence that bees can judge protein content of pollen, that
source of selection remains speculative even if it were plausible.

yerz

Jim

===============================

James H. Cane

USDA-ARS Pollinating Insect Research Unit

Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

email: Jim.Cane at ars.usda.gov

web page: *http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=18333
<http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=18333>*