[Pollinator] [beemonitoring] Should we tell them?

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Thu Apr 30 07:14:25 PDT 2015

Dear Lisa:

These are good points.  It's up to me to decide on how close I want my lab
to be associated with the local Whole Foods.  Yes, they have those evening
talks and demonstrations in a side room but I'm dubious about working in
there.  In the past, they've brought in a number of "speakers" peddling
herbal remedies.  I've attended them and used the experience in Ethnobotany
lectures to show that quackery is still with us and rather lucrative at
that.  I'm not referring to simple herbal remedies treating forms of
inflammation and dyspepsia.  I'm talking about claims that aromatherapy has
a positive effect on cancer, malaria and other organic illnesses based on a
very strange concept about scent molecules (not alkaloids) entering the
nervous system.  As each Whole Foods store is independent perhaps I'll wait
for the new one to open just a mile or so away from this university.

Peter