[Pollinator] Fwd: preventing insect attack in 19th century

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Sun Dec 6 15:36:29 PST 2015

Dear Karen:

Thank you for that interesting blast from the past.  I am sending it on to
botanists who often handle some really old herbarium sheets.  Wash your
hands!  You realize , of course, that mercury poisoning in millinery is
probably the origin of the phrase "Mad as a Hatter."  It comes from the
even older treatment of beaver skins (destined to become hats) with
mercury.  I understand that the molecules were small enough to pass through
the filter of the epidermis and the poisoning later manifested itself as
crazed behavior in hatters.  I wonder if early entomologists used some sort
of mercury compound on pinned collections so I will send this on to
entomological colleagues dealing with 19th century specimens?

Peter