[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 11/01/14 (Costa Rica-East Hummingbird Report)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Mon Feb 2 14:57:07 PST 2015

It's taken me so long to put together the photos, text, and data summarizing Operation RubyThroat's November 2014 highly successful hummingbird banding trip to Ujarrás on the Caribbean slope of Costa Rica, I just can't wait any longer! It's now on-line and includes many images of tropical birds (resident and migrant), plants, people, and landscapes—including an erupting volcano.

Interestingly, hummingbirds—including our target species (Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Archilochus colubrids) seem to be principal pollinators for Chayote squash that grows at out study site.

The write-up is posted as the better-late-than-never installment of “This Week at Hilton Pond” for 1 November 2014 at
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek141101.html <http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek141101.html> . There are lots of images, so it may take a while to download.

Happy (Neotropical) Nature Watching!

BILL

Please "Like" our new Facebook pages at http://www.facebook.com/HiltonPond <http://www.facebook.com/HiltonPond> for timely updates on nature topics,