[Pollinator] Video of bees foraging on Salix - filmed in England today

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Tue Feb 17 11:27:12 PST 2015

Dear Kevin:

I did watch the video but must have missed the sub title on species.  Yes,
I could see honeybees and bumblebees "visiting the catkins" but the
magnification and focus isn't sufficient to confirm which act of foraging
is occurring.  I can't see whether these bees are collecting pollen or
drinking nectar and request better close ups. There's plenty of literature
on bees collecting Salix pollen.  What I'd like to see confirmed, as a
video, are closeups of bees drinking nectar.  As you know. there's a big
difference between irregular probing with the probosces vs. methodical
lapping from floret to floret.  The lighting and magnification on your
video makes this hard to confirm either way.

Peter