[Pollinator] The White House honeybees-Pollinator Week Message from WH OSTP Director John Holdren

Tom Van Arsdall tva at pollinator.org
Tue Jun 16 15:02:29 PDT 2015

Too late for the live video feed on honey bees in the White House garden,
but loads of other important information FYI in the Pollinator Week message
from OSTP Director John Holdren, including link to the Pollinator Health
Strategy First Lady's announcement of the Million Pollinator Garden
Challenge and reference to Sam Droege's (USGS) good work.

Happy Pollinator Week!  Let's celebrate AND take action!  Tom VA

  <https://www.whitehouse.gov/files/email/staff/email4_left.jpg>

 The White House, Washington
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/email-files/wh-seal-email-fr
iendly.jpg>

Hi again, everyone --

Thanks for the great input you've been sharing. Thousands of you have
weighed in over the past several days on which scientific topics you'd like
to hear more about.

As you may have seen, my last message featured an image from the Hubble
Space Telescope showcasing the densest-known cluster of stars in the Milky
Way -- and reminding us just how expansive our universe really is.

But there's beauty (and science) in the small things, too.

It's National Pollinator Week, so I thought I'd share a few incredible
close-ups of bees by U.S. Geological Survey bee expert Sam Droege. Scroll
down for some scientific facts about bees -- and be sure you're
<https://www.twitter.com/whitehouseostp> watching the OSTP Twitter account
around 1 p.m. ET, when we'll be featuring live footage from the beehive on
the White House South Lawn via Periscope.

 <https://www.twitter.com/whitehouseostp> Check out this cool bee photo!

In addition to being beautiful, in their own way, bees are pretty incredible
creatures.

*	The "buzz" associated with honeybees is the sound of their four
wings beating more than 11,000 times per minute. With wing-speeds that high,
honeybees can fly faster than most people can run: about 15 miles per hour.
*	Ever wonder how bees find their way back to a hive? Among the many
tools in their navigation toolbox, bees use magnetism. Worker bees have a
region of magnetite in their abdomens that allow them to use the Earth's
magnetic field to help them navigate.
*	Honeybee pollination alone adds more than $15 billion in value to
agricultural crops each year, and helps ensure that our diets include ample
fruits, nuts, and vegetables.

Honeybees, native bees, other insect pollinators, birds, and bats provide
tremendously valuable services to society. That's why, here at the White
House and across the Administration, we're doing a lot to protect these
hardworking contributors to society, which you can
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/05/19/announcing-new-steps-promote-pol
linator-health?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=email468-text1&
utm_campaign=climate> learn about here.

Here's how YOU can join federal agencies in this effort: Plant a
pollinator-friendly garden at your own school, home, or business, and help
achieve the ambitious goal of planting a million pollinator gardens
nationwide.
<http://www.letsmove.gov/blog/2015/06/04/bees-butterflies-and-broccoli-white
-house-kitchen-garden-harvest?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=
email468-text2&utm_campaign=climate> Learn more here.

I'll be in touch with more soon --

John

Dr. John P. Holdren
Director, Office of Science and Technology Policy
The White House
 <https://www.twitter.com/whitehouseostp> @whitehouseostp

<https://www.whitehouse.gov/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=e
mail468-footer&utm_campaign=climate> Visit WhiteHouse.gov

This email was sent to  <mailto:%25%25emailaddr%25%25> %%emailaddr%%.

<https://members.s6.exacttarget.com/Content/Email/%25%25unsub_center_url%25%
25> Unsubscribe |
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/privacy?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_co
ntent=email468-footer&utm_campaign=climate> Privacy Policy
Please do not reply to this email.
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_co
ntent=email468-footer&utm_campaign=climate> Contact the White House

The White House . 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW . Washington, DC 20500 .
202-456-1111

  <https://www.whitehouse.gov/files/email/staff/email4_right.jpg>

R. Thomas (Tom) Van Arsdall, Director of Public Affairs

    <http://www.pollinator.org/> Pollinator Partnership

   Cell:  (703) 509-4746

   TVA at pollinator.org

 <https://www.facebook.com/ThePollinatorPartnership>