[Pollinator] Introduction of Highways BEE Act Great for Pollinators

Kelly Rourke kr at pollinator.org
Thu Jun 18 12:52:35 PDT 2015

Introduction of Highways BEE Act Great for Pollinators

*June 18, 2015*
*For Immediate Release*
Tom Van Arsdall TVA at pollinator.org 703.509.4746
Laurie Davies Adams LDA at pollinator.org 415.362.113
Introduction of Highways BEE Act Great for Pollinators

The *Pollinator Partnership (P2)* applauds Reps. Jeff Denham (CA) and Alcee
L. Hastings (FL) for introducing the Highways BEE Act
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?PollinatorPartnershi/cf5accf158/TEST/c2b58d588d/utm_content=kr@pollinator.org&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Highways%20BEE%20Act&utm_campaign=Introduction%20of%20Highways%20BEE%20Act%20Great%20for%20Pollinators>,
H.R. 2738, on June 11, providing a jump start to 2015 Pollinator Week.

Pollinators, like bees, butterflies, birds and other animals, bring us one
in every three bites of food, protect our environment. They form the
underpinnings of a healthy and sustainable future.

<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?PollinatorPartnershi/cf5accf158/TEST/9ff24ab3e2>[image:
SIGN2]
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?PollinatorPartnershi/cf5accf158/TEST/d2a5eadf92>

The *Highways BEE Act* has been introduced in the Congress by the joint
leadership of *Rep. Alcee L. Hastings (D-FL) and Rep. Jeff Denham (R-CA),
co-chairs of the Congressional Pollinator Protection Caucus (CP2C).* Over
250 national, regional, and local organizations and 2,500 American
scientists and individuals from all walks of life across the nation have
already signed a petition in support of such legislation.

“Many conservation approaches are viewed as adding costs – this measure is
designed to help cash-strapped states reduce roadside maintenance costs,
while providing habitat for pollinators and other benefits.  Everyone wins;
we save money, and the safety of our nation’s highways is enhanced,” Rep.
Hastings said*.  “*I greatly appreciate the longstanding leadership and
support of the Pollinator Partnership in supporting this approach and
legislation.”

“The bill gives states the ability to reduce roadside maintenance costs
while providing better habitat for pollinators, including honey
bees—similar to the efforts farmers already make to be good
conservationists while they produce our food. Our pollinators are crucial

to the strength of our communities and success of our agricultural
industry,” noted Denham.  “The Pollinator Partnership has been an excellent
partner in growing understanding and support for our bill.”

“We are very excited about the prospect of increasing habitat for
pollinators,” said Laurie Davies Adams, P2 Executive Director.  “There are
so many opportunities that this bill will encourage; and when you consider
the added advantages of reduced mowing and increased beautification, this
will be a major win for the states and the pollinators.”

Interested organizations, businesses and individuals can find out more and
sign a petition in support of the legislation at
http://www.pollinator.org/BEEAct.htm
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?PollinatorPartnershi/cf5accf158/TEST/14f5b7cf5e/utm_content=kr@pollinator.org&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epollinator%2Eorg%2FBEEAct%2Ehtm&utm_campaign=Introduction%20of%20Highways%20BEE%20Act%20Great%20for%20Pollinators>
.

Introduction of the legislation is an important benchmark in the five-year
effort by the Pollinator Partnership to “pollinate” federal transportation
law.  Highway right-of-ways managed by State Departments of Transportation
(DOT’s) represent 17 million acres of opportunity for cash-strapped States
to both save money and improve pollinator habitat through Integrated
Vegetation Management (IVM), including reduced mowing and strategic
plantings of native forbs and grasses.  H.R. 2738 directs the Secretary of
Transportation to use existing authorities, programs and funding to assist
IVM and pollinator habitat efforts by willing State DOT’s.  Other original
cosponsors include Reps John Conyers (MI), Chellie Pingree (ME), and Jackie
Speier (CA).

###

*ABOUT THE POLLINATOR PARTNERSHIP (P2)*
Established in 1997, the Pollinator Partnership is the largest 501(c) 3
non-profit organization dedicated exclusively to the health, protection,
and conservation of all pollinating animals. Pollinator Partnership’s
actions for pollinators include education, conservation, restoration,
policy, and research.  P2’s financial support comes through grants, gifts,
memberships and donations from any interested party.  P2’s policies are
science-based, set by its board of directors, and never influenced by any
donor. To make a donation or for information on events during Pollinator
Week, visit www.pollinator.org
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?PollinatorPartnershi/cf5accf158/TEST/b6168d4751/utm_content=kr@pollinator.org&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=www%2Epollinator%2Eorg&utm_campaign=Introduction%20of%20Highways%20BEE%20Act%20Great%20for%20Pollinators>
.

[image: newsbox]
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?PollinatorPartnershi/cf5accf158/TEST/48c8d6d1aa/utm_content=kr@pollinator.org&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Introduction%20of%20Highways%20BEE%20Act%20Great%20for%20Pollinators>