[Pollinator] A new paper shows mixed effects of neonics on honeybee hives

Clement Kent clementfkent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 09:01:44 PDT 2015

Hi Hollis - a couple of my colleagues pointed out the different conclusions
between the just published Dively et al and last year's Sandrock et al
studies. Both found poorer one-year survival of queens, but they differ in
the short term effects shown. My colleagues noted that Sandrock et al made
sure the pollen patties containing neonics were fully consumed, while
Dively et al did not. Another difference is that Dively et al used
imidacloprid, while Sandrock et al used thiamethoxam and clothianidin.

Although the differences between the studies are interesting, the fact that
two studies both using field-realistic exposure levels of two different
neonics found poor one-year queen survival after exposure is probably the
biggest message I see here.

Clement