[Pollinator] Fact Checking?

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Mon Nov 9 11:39:00 PST 2015

Dear Gabriele:

Thank you for your communication.  Here we have an important case in
point.  Cranberry and blueberry release their pollen in groups of four
(tetrads) not as single grains.  More important, the pollen is stored in
tubular anthers with terminal pores.  True pollinators should sonicate
these flowers, right?  However, the literature I've read insists that
honeybees do not sonicate.  First, how do honeybees get pollen out of the
anthers and then contact the receptive stigma in the flower while wearing
enough pollen tetrads?  Then we must ask a second question .  The honeybees
in the Pettis study carried little blueberry pollen but is that a bad
thing?  How many tetrad grains are actually required for fruit set in a
blue berry as each tetrad must make 4 pollen tubes to fertilize four
ovules?

Here's a link to a paper written by our own Jim Cane.  He and his
colleagues tackled pollination in another Vaccinium species.  Jim used to
be famous, you know.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2443575?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Peter