[Pollinator] Fact Checking?

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Mon Nov 9 16:10:20 PST 2015

Dear Peter:

Mangos have tiny flowers as do all members of the Anacardiaceae.  It's a
matter of the bee's body hitting both targets (anthers AND stigma).
Small-bodied bees should be most effective as pollinators of flowers of
similar dimensions.  It does not matter if tiny flowers are compressed into
massive inflorescence.  Note how well small bees pollinated members of the
Asteraceae where bisexual florets are massed into the same cup of bracts
(involucrum).

There are three commercial species of coffee.  Most of what is grown
through the tropical americas is C. arabica.  It is self-compatible and,
self-pollinating.  The other two species may be different stories
especially if the ancestral, early-acting self-incompatibility is
retained.  Each coffee fruit makes only 2 seeds.  Technically, only 2
pollen grains need to reach the stigma.

Peter