[Pollinator] Bee Species of Maryland: New Records and Provisional List

Droege, Sam sdroege at usgs.gov
Mon Apr 11 08:15:01 PDT 2016

All:

It has been at least 2 years since I reported out the new Maryland bee
records and set out a new spreadsheet of those records.

Below is a summary of the new record for the state/counties/cities.
Attached is a spreadsheet of those records with two tabs. One tab lists
some of the details for each of the records and the other has "x"s for
records by county for each species.  A few "?" records are included when I
have some questions regarding the taxonomy or perhaps because I have not
seen the actual specimen.  There are a number of records from Allegany
county that have a yellow background that I pulled form Edd Barrow's
publication on bees in the shale barrens area of that county that I have
yet to look at but include because I feel they are likely correctly
identified.  Records in red text are new records since the last time I put
out a summary.

Much appreciation goes out to all the help from the many
collectors/volunteers in the state (see list at the bottom) and all the
technical help from North American taxonomists and their collections.

*Summary*

In Maryland there are 23 counties and 2 cities (Baltimore and District of
Columbia...yes, DC was originally part of Maryland)

*432 species* are recorded for the state (however, see section below for
taxonomic and identification issues)

Note that I have not made a concerted effort to mine old databases, but I
do add new records when I come across them in other collections and am
always interested in specimens that others may have for the state.

*New State Records* (includes reviewed old specimens as well as newly
collected specimens, see the detail tab to learn about collection dates and
localities)

*Andrena integra*
*Andrena lamelliterga*
*Andrena miranda*
*Andrena rufosignata*
*Andrena uvulariae*
*Ceratina floridana*
*Coelioxys germana*
*Coelioxys hunteri*
*Coelioxys galactiae*
*Colletes eulophi*
*Dieunomia nevadensis*
*Epeolus banksi*
*Heriades truncorum*
*Hoplitis anthocopoides*
*Lasioglossum albipenne*
*Lasioglossum comagenense*
*Lasioglossum pectinatum*
*Lasioglossum pruinosum*
*Macropis ciliata*
*Megachile integra*
*Melecta pacifica*
*Mellitta melittoides*
*Nomada adducta*
*Nomada bethunei*
*Nomada integerrima*
*Nomada rubicunda*
*Nomada seneciophila*
*Nomia nortoni*
*Osmia texana*
*Sphecodes dichrous*
*Stelis nitida*
*Triepeolus atripes*
*Triepeolus concavus*
*Triepeolus pectoralis*
*Triepeolus quadrifasciatus*
*Triepeolus simplex*
*Triepeolus sp 101*
*Xenoglossa strenua*

*Counts of Bee Species by County *(#new species records:total species
records)

10:126 Allegany County
30:223 Anne Arundel County
19:142 Baltimore County
53:83 Baltimore City
13:159 Calvert County
21:104 Caroline County
93:112 Carroll County
85:120 Cecil County
52:140 Charles County
50:159 District of Columbia
36:106 Dorchester County
18:120 Frederick County
30:134 Garrett County
62:106 Harford County
13:123 Howard County
81:130 Kent County
44:210 Montgomery County
18:249 Prince George's County
13:116 Queen Anne's County
72:111 Saint Mary's County
14:87 Somerset County
51:109 Talbot County
94:139 Washington County
47:92 Wicomico County
11:157 Worcester County

Most counties should have at least 150 species (lower Eastern Shore is the
least biodiverse)...so still a long way to go before claiming this survey
is more than an indication of patterns of occurrence.

The average bee species was detected in 7.75 county/cities

The following 14 species have now been recorded in every county and the two
cities:

*Andrena carlini*
*Andrena cressonii*
*Apis mellifera*
*Augochlorella aurata*
*Bombus griseocollis*
*Bombus impatiens*
*Ceratina calcarata*
*Ceratina dupla*
*Ceratina strenua*
*Halictus ligatus/poeyi*
*Lasioglossum tegulare*
*Osmia pumila*
*Osmia taurus*
*Xylocopa virginica*

*Species/species groups that are provisional/in need of review*

White setae group of *Nomada* (molecular work shows that there are many
more than the listed species in the region):
*N. cressonii*
*N. pygmaea*
*N. illinoensis*
*N. sayi*

*N. integerimma *- tricky to ID
*N. dentariae *- unclear identification details

*Nomada *in the bidentate group (molecular work shows many more species are
in the region, right now I conclude that only *N. maculata *can be told to
species):
*N. lepida*
*N. perplexa*

*N. nortoni* - Confirmed specimen at AMNH from Cumberland, far far out of
range and geographic region seemingly inappropriate.

*Andrena imitatrix/morrisonella* - Unclear how to separate
*Halictus ligatus/poeyi *- Unclear how to separate
*Augochloropsis sumptuosa *- My early records were misidentified blue forms
of A. metallica...need to double check all records, may be no valid ones

*Ceratina floridana* - Recently identified from molecular work...not
confident of sight identifications at this point.

*Coelioxys alternata/hunteri* - Possible confusion between the two species

*Hylaeus modestus/affinis/illinoensis*/Species A - Identification for male
H. affinis is clear, the remainder remain a fuzzy mess in my mind.

*Lasioglossum planatum* - Keys out to this species, but not yet confident

*Sphecodes* -  I have trouble with identifying this whole group, many more
specimens await identification.

*Number of new records by collector/observer* (note that the spreadsheet
was initially populated from records from USGS Bee Inventory and Monitoring
Lab and so those earlier records and collectors and not included as part of
this count)  ... Note too that there are likely records for some observers
under more than one spelling...!

Sam Droege 560
Tim McMahon 180
Jennifer Frye 120
Richard Orr 68
Eugene Scarpulla 65
Jason Martin 61
Kyle Rambo 55
J.C. Crawford 54
Edd Barrows 50
Becky Loncosky 33
Cheyenne Owens 29
Brooke Alexander 27
Dan Small 26
Seth Berry 23
P. Phillips 22
Gary Hevel 22
M. Turell 20
Steve Westre 20
Dan Fiscus, Seth Moessinger 18
ARS Microhymenopterists 16
Md. Department of Ag 15
Neil Chartier 15
Anita Leight Wetland Center Volunteers 14
Philip Orndorff 14
Wayne Gilchrest 14
Thomas Wilson 13
J. Conley 11
Jim Brighton 10
unknown 10
Dejen Mengis 8
Elaine Szymkowiak 8
J Chase 8
Ken Ferebee 8
K.V. Krombein 8
G. Groshon 7
J. Devalez 7
J. McCann 7
L. McDowell 7
P. Groller 7
Ellen Raby 6
G. Pohlner 6
na 6
Jane Whitaker 6
David Ziolkowski 5
J. Hughes 5
J.S. Ascher 5
Lucy Wright 5
M. Iannuzzi 5
N. Banks 5
Ruth Eisenhour 5
T. Ransom 5
Tami Ransom 5
B. Alexander 4
C. Young 4
G. Shedd 4
J. Popp 4
J.C. Bridwell 4
Samantha Gallagher 4
Studinski 4
Sutton-Lawrence 4
W.L. McAtee 4
A. Landsman 3
A. Reinke 3
Brian Brown 3
C. Davis 3
Chris Tawney 3
H.L. Viereck 3
L. Fritz 3
L. Jones 3
L. Kuder and M. Kulis 3
L.O. Jackson 3
Matt Greenstone and Emily Hren 3
P. Eppig 3
S. Gitlin 3
T. Suman 3
A&E Baldwin 2
A. G. Scarbrough 2
Andy Brown 2
B. Brown 2
B. Long 2
Black Light Trap 2
Bonnie Ott 2
Carl White 2
Carl White, Dejen Mengis, Heagan Ahmed, Robel Woldu, Sue Boo 2
Carlton Walker 2
Connie Young 2
D. Ray 2
Don Weber 2
E. McDowell 2
Erinn Dorman 2
G. Williams 2
G.L. Williams 2
J. Buchanan 2
J. Gibbs 2
Jack Walker 2
JC Crawford 2
Jeff Wolinski 2
Liz McDowell 2
Liz Szmanski 2
M. Heim 2
M. Kalb 2
Natalie Allen 2
Peggy Eppig 2
R. Hopkins 2
R.C. Shannon 2
R.M. Fouts 2
Roberson 2
Ron Albaugh 2
S. W. Walker 2
S.C. Percey 2
Sidwell Friends School 2
State Park 2
Syzmkowiak 2
Ted Suman 2
USDA 2
USDA-ARS Team 2
W. R. Witzke 2
L. Kuder 2
Rhonda Kranz 2
Stephanie Kolski 2
 L. Moore, H. Herbers 1
 LO Jackson 1
A. Fadipe 1
A. Mentlik 1
A. S. Menke 1
A. Scarbrough 1
A.H. Candall 1
A.K. Fisher 1
A.S. Menke 1
AH Pottinger 1
Alex Sequcina (spelling unclear) 1
Andrew Landsman 1
Arlene Ripley 1
Ash 1
Assateague Staff 1
B. Ball and A. Nordey 1
Benjamin JD 1
Beth Nordam 1
Bill Adams 1
Brandon Hollenburg 1
Bridwell 1
Bud Grimm 1
C. Midtgaard 1
C. Osborn 1
C. Tawney 1
Carl Mantes 1
Cathy Stragar 1
CL Marlatt 1
Coll. E. Snyder 1
D. C. Hasselhoff 1
D. R. Miller 1
D. Redman 1
D.A. Brody 1
D.B. Wahl 1
D.G. Shappirio 1
D.R. Smith 1
D.W. Strasburg 1
David Clement 1
David Keane 1
Debnizer 1
Dennis Johnson 1
Droege and Devalez 1
E. Keto 1
E. Snoeyr 1
Emily Schmitt 1
F.C. Pratt 1
Fred Paraskevoudakis 1
FWS personell 1
G. Bressel 1
G. Matthew 1
G. S. 1
G.B. Edwards 1
G.C. Eickwort 1
Gabrielson 1
Gaye Williams 1
Grace, Alice, Lucy, Nell Droege 1
H. Barber 1
H.A. Virts 1
H.W. Ikerd 1
Heather Golden 1
Holly Merker 1
Izzy Hll 1
J Silver 1
J&C Frye 1
J. D. Brown 1
J. Lieb 1
J. Miller 1
J. Spicer 1
J.C. Ward 1
J.R. Foster 1
J.R. Malloch 1
Jelle Devalez 1
Jim Young 1
Joe Lieb 1
John Pascarella 1
June Tveekrem 1
K. Hutson 1
K. Lloyd 1
K. Mosley 1
K. Shoemaker 1
K. Wilen 1
L. Jackson 1
L.P.D. Traam 1
Liz Day 1
Lubo Masner 1
M. B. Allik 1
M. Gates 1
M. Meredith 1
M. Murphy 1
M. Place 1
M. Spring 1
M. Youmans 1
M.J. and R. Mollineaux 1
M.J. Roberts 1
MD Department of Agriculture 1
N. Fritsche 1
n/a 1
none given 1
Not mentioned 1
Not Readable 1
P. Bystrak 1
P. Gambino 1
P. Orndorff 1
P. Valdata 1
P.D. Hurd 1
Pat Groller 1
Peter Osenton 1
R. Cheicante 1
R. Clift 1
R. McGinley 1
R. Morawe 1
R. Stewart 1
R.B. Miller 1
RM Fouts 1
Rob Roy Mackey 1
Robert Oppenheimer 1
Russell and Droege 1
S. A. Wolinski 1
S. Kelly 1
S. Pendorf 1
Several 1
Shuerwein 1
spelling unclear 1
Stephen Schueman 1
Stevenson 1
Stragar 1
Students 1
T. Marushak 1
Timothy Reichard 1
Tracey Taylor 1
unkown 1
USDA ARS employees 1
Vincent Vizachero 1
Volunteers 1
W. Miller 1
W.F. Gimple, Jr. 1
W.L. Morris 1
Warren Steiner 1
Wilkems (spelling unclear) 1
Williams 1
Zack Riegel 1
Zahirsky 1

Thanks again everyone.

Sam Droege  sdroege at usgs.gov
w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD  20705
Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

For All

Ah to be alive
on a mid-September morn
fording a stream
barefoot, pants rolled up,
holding boots, pack on,
sunshine, ice in the shallows,
northern rockies.

Rustle and shimmer of icy creek waters
stones turn underfoot, small and hard as toes
cold nose dripping
singing inside
creek music, heart music,
smell of sun on gravel.