[Pollinator] Nearly two decades of data reinforce concerns that pesticides are really bad for bees

David Inouye inouye at umd.edu
Wed Aug 17 06:12:01 PDT 2016

Nearly two decades of data reinforce concerns that pesticides are really
bad for bees

Wild bee declines have been ascribed in part to neonicotinoid
insecticides. While short-term laboratory studies on commercially bred
species (principally honeybees and bumblebees) have identified
sub-lethal effects, there is no strong evidence linking these
insecticides to losses of the majority of wild bee species. We relate 18
years of UK national wild bee distribution data for 62 species to
amounts of neonicotinoid use in oilseed rape. Using a multi-species
dynamic Bayesian occupancy analysis, we find evidence of increased
population extinction rates in response to neonicotinoid seed treatment
use on oilseed rape. Species foraging on oilseed rape benefit from the
cover of this crop, but were on average three times more negatively
affected by exposure to neonicotinoids than non-crop foragers. Our
results suggest that sub-lethal effects of neonicotinoids could scale up
to cause losses of bee biodiversity. Restrictions on neonicotinoid use
may reduce population declines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/08/16/nearly-two-decades-of-data-reinforce-concerns-that-pesticides-are-really-bad-for-bees/?utm_term=.9a9ad4d8645d--

Dr. David W. Inouye
Professor Emeritus