[Pollinator] Croton setigerus, turkey mullein, a pollinator plant of the Western States

Travis O enoster at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 09:10:02 PDT 2016

Hello,

http://www.amateuranthecologist.com/2016/08/croton-setigerus.html

Croton setigerus, or turkey/dove mullein, is an ubiquitous roadside weed of dry regions. It is quite easy to miss, the small rounded "cushions" are not particularly attractive unless you are a nerd for plants (like me). They seem to be highly attractive to a variety of hymenopterans, particularly wasps and possibly a lesser extent bees (native and otherwise). They are apparently host plants for at least one species of butterfly, as well. I wrote a brief piece with photos, link is at the top of this message.

Travis Owen
Rogue River, OR

www.amateuranthecologist.com
www.oldsolbees.com