[Pollinator] Fwd: Harris Center December 2016 Newsletter

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Thu Dec 22 16:47:56 PST 2016

Contains two brief articles on two scientists working on two different
groups of pollinators.

Whitney R. Harris World Ecology Center Dec 2016 Newsletter
View this email in your browser
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=33eb428b5a&e=d1ca7a3fd2>

Volume 23, Number 2, December 2016
*News and Events*

*2016 World Ecology Award *

(Left to right: Anna Harris, Kay Drey, and Sylvia Earle.)

On Sunday, October 16th Dr. Sylvia A. Earle
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=56de5a0982&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
became the 21st recipient of the World Ecology Award
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=f9628b0a19&e=d1ca7a3fd2>.
Called “Her Deepness” by The New York Times
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=8e5249a72c&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
and “Hero for the Planet” by TIME
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=d4a33372c6&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
magazine, the 81-year-old Earle continues to dive for segments shown on the
National Geographic channel.  She is the founder of Deep Ocean Exploration
and Research, Inc.
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=720dcbe1e3&e=d1ca7a3fd2>,
founder of Mission Blue and SEAlliance
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=b38e6251eb&e=d1ca7a3fd2>,
and chair of the Advisory Councils of the Harte Research Institute
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=f788cd0b80&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
and the Ocean in Google Earth
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=9f5d822dab&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
.

“We thought we could put anything in the ocean and take anything out,” she
said, “but there are limits to what we can do to the world that keeps us
alive. In the ocean, it’s only taken a few decades for us to consume what
we did on land. Fish don’t even have to taste good or be slow enough to be
caught anymore.”  Despite the crushing fact that it only took a couple
hundred years for humans to destroy ecosystems that formed over centuries,
Earle remains hopeful.  “We’ve learned more and lost more,” she said. “But
children today are so lucky. They’ve come at just the right moment. They
are the beneficiaries of all our knowledge” – a thought that highlighted
another important part of the night: supporting the education of future
conservationists.

In conjunction with the Gala dinner held in honor of Sylvia Earle, the
Harris Center raised almost $60,000 in net profit, thanks to the efforts of
the Gala Program Committee (co-chairpersons Kary Drey and Dan and Connie
Burkhardt), and to all supporters of and attendees to the Gala dinner.
These funds will be used to support the research and training of
undergraduate and graduate students at UMSL studying in the areas of
Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation.  A big thank you to Cindy
Vantine of University
Events
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=5fd8e4ac74&e=d1ca7a3fd2>,
Deborah Godwin of University Development
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=fdf117d0f5&e=d1ca7a3fd2>,
and Liz de Laperouse and Donna Nonnencamp of the Harris Center Leadership
Council
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=9175eecc32&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
.

*2016 Whitney and Anna Harris Conservation Forum*
(Left to right: Dr. Raul Medina, Dr. Gordon Patterson, Dr. Steven Julano,
and Dr. Kathleen Westby.)
The Whitney and Anna Harris Conservation Forum
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=6a49991a19&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
took place on November 10th at the Saint Louis Zoo.  The title of this
year’s forum was *Mosquitos: Ecology, Disease Vectors, and Control*. There
were over 200 guests in attendance to hear four presentations from mosquito
experts from across the country. This annual forum, organized and
co-sponsored by the Harris Center, provides an opportunity for conservation
organizations and academics to interact with each other and with the
general public.  Its goal is to promote collaboration in the field of
conservation, and to explore various conservation issues in depth.  This
year attendees learned about mosquito history, control methods, and disease
risks.

We heard from four leading mosquito experts who presented on their specific
topics of research.  Dr. Steven Juliano
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=0733e10c89&e=d1ca7a3fd2>,
from Illinois State University, specializes in community, population, and
behavioral ecology and gave an overview on mosquito ecology and their role
as disease carriers.  Dr. Kathleen Westby
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=3277ae26b6&e=d1ca7a3fd2>,
from the Tyson Research Center at Washington University, specializes in
mosquito vectors of Dengue, West Nile, and La Crosse viruses which is what
she presented on.  Dr. Gordon Patterson,
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=e7d66dc222&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
from the Florida Institute of Technology, focuses his research on the
history of vector and mosquito control and presented a unique historical
perspective on the Zika virus.  Dr. Raul Medina
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=05af76fbf2&e=d1ca7a3fd2>,
from Texas A&M University, researches the role that ecological factors play
in the population genetics of insects and gave his talk on new developments
in mosquito control.

*Sixth Annual SLEEC Retreat*

The fifth annual retreat of the St. Louis Ecology Evolution and
Conservation Consortium (SLEEC) was held on September 17 at Principia
College, Elsah, Illinois. The SLEEC Retreat
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=037a6ddb4e&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
brings together scientists who work in biodiversity and conservation to
exchange ideas on their research and conservation strategies, and to
socialize. Approximately 150 scientists and students from across the St.
Louis region, including one from Mizzou, participated this year. There were
18 fifteen-minute talks during the day, two poster sessions involving 39
research posters, and two short field trips at lunch time. The keynote
address was given by Dr. Ruth Shaw (University of Minnesota), and was
entitled, "Studying the adaptive process in wild plant populations: purple
coneflower and partridge pea”. A catered dinner was held at the Audubon
Center at Riverlands. The Retreat was supported financially by Harris
Center, the Missouri Botanical Garden, Washington University, Saint Louis
University, South Illinois University at Edwardsville, and Principia
College. Bob Marquis, who oversaw the organization of the Retreat this
year, would especially like to thank Chrissy McAllister of Principia
College for co-chairing the event, the students, faculty and administrators
of Principia for helping with logistics and allowing us to use their
campus, Ken Buchholz and Al DeGrand for permission to use Riverlands, and
Ashley Johns and Leticia Soares for help with logistics. During its 2011
meeting, the Scientific Board of the Harris Center recommended that the
Harris Center be a supporter of this annual event, and we have done so
since its inception.

*New Harris Center Leadership*

Dr. Patricia Parker has stepped in as the Interim Director of the Harris
Center, following Dr. Robert Marquis who served as Interim Director for
eight years.  From Dr. Parker:  “I have been associated with the Harris
Center since I arrived at UMSL in 2000, when it was known as the
International Center for Tropical Ecology.  The existence of such an
organization as the Harris Center at UMSL is a big reason I left my faculty
job at The Ohio State University and came to St. Louis.  I have never
regretted that decision, and I continue to be impressed by our wonderful
graduate students from around the world and the dedication of our community
leaders in support of the Harris Center and what it is trying to accomplish
in training the future world leaders in the science of conservation.   I am
happy to be able to fill in now as Interim Director while we hope to be
able to expand our faculty and grow the Harris Center.”

        (Dr. Patricia Parker)
(Liz de Laperouse)

Liz de Laperouse is the new chair of the Harris Center Leadership Council,
stepping in as Max McCombs wrapped up his two years as chair.  She is
joined by Donna Nonnencamp who is serving as Vice Chair.  In an interview
with UMSL Daily
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=02550090b4&e=d1ca7a3fd2>,
Liz commented, “I hope that more high school students will consider a
biology degree from UMSL.  Many students that enjoy science do not realize
the wonderful careers they can have in environmental and ecology fields and
the opportunities offered by the Harris Center.”
*News from Alumni and Harris Associates*

Dr. Steven Blake was featured by National Geographic in the Explorers
section of their magazine and website.  When asked about his favorite
experience in the field, Dr. Blake said: “In terms of sheer exhilaration,
putting GPS collars onto forest elephants must rate as the high point and
the most challenging. A deeply rewarding experience has been many hundreds
of nights around the campfire in the forest with my pygmy tracker friends,
telling stories, and learning from them. Now on Galápagos, the thrill of
downloading data from GPS-tagged tortoises and seeing how they have moved
in the months since last time we met, is right up there.”  Read the rest of
his interview here
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=a6034e90ab&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
.
*Fall Graduate Profiles*

After successfully defending his thesis, *Forgetting and the Value of
Social Information, *Ben Abts graduated from UMSL with an MS. His research
investigated “whether foraging bumblebees place more value on information
they learn themselves or information they learn from observing others.” His
study provided interesting results, in summary he found that “information
they learn from others is more important in the short term, but in the long
term it is all close to random.” However, it is also not all that simple.
He explains that “context, previous experience, and environmental
stochasticity all influences decision making.”

Ben received support from the Harris Center for his Master’s project as
well as funding for an “OTS course, Field Biology: Skills for Science and
Beyond”, as well as conference travel support. “The OTS course was one of
the best experiences of my graduate career.  I learned about tropical
biology, experimental design, and that I am more cape able than I ever
imagined.”
Dr. Leticia Soares’ dissertation, *Historical Biogeography, Spatial
Distribution, and Within-Host Interactions of Avian Haemosporidian
Parasites (Apicomplexa, Haemosporida)*, “was aimed at understanding how
parasites that cause malaria-like disease in birds are distributed across
different geographic scales, and how such distributions change over time.”
 She surveyed “malaria and other blood parasites on bird populations
occurring on a diversity of habitats: shorelines of Patagonia, the Amazon
forest, islands of the West Indies, and even here in Missouri.” As a result
of this study, Dr. Soares demonstrated that “birds and their pathogens are
on a fast-paced, and constant arms race, in which birds might be evolving
resistance to parasite strains, and parasites might be rapidly answering to
this evolved immunity by developing alternative ways of infecting the
hosts. These studies also teach us how much we can learn about diseases and
pathogens that affect human populations by looking at how wildlife deals
with the same issues."

Leticia received a lot of support both financially and professionally from
the Harris Center. She was awarded research funding to do field work and
data analysis. Moreover, she explains that she is “currently supported by
the Community Scholarship, to develop a handbook of collaborative resources
between the Biology Dept. at UMSL and the St. Louis Zoo. The Center has
supported two of my undergraduate students, funding part of my own
dissertation work, and has funded two field expeditions related to my
research. I received one book award, and two travel awards to help me
attend conferences. I was also a member of the first graduate student
board, which helped with revision of grant proposals, and was part of the
graduate student group during the development of the latest 5-year
strategic plan for the center –– all of these were incredible contributions
to my professional development.”
Dr. Gyanpriya Maharaj’s dissertation, *Color mediated foraging by
pollinators, a comparative study of two passion flower butterflies at
Lantana camara*, was aimed at researching the “color related floral
signaling and resulting insect foraging behaviors.” These behaviors “have
only been extensively examined in bees, in comparison to other pollinators
such as, butterflies regardless of their ecological importance. Therefore,
my study provides novel information by focusing on color mediated foraging
behaviors of adult passionflower butterflies, *Heliconius melpomene* and *Dryas
iulia*, to the color changing flowers of *Lantana camara*. I found that my
study species visited flowers that closely matched their wings, and these
color choices were also affected by rewards offered and competitors,
additionally I found that *L. camara *plants signal honestly with their
inflorescences acting as multi-colored advertising billboards.”

She thinks of UMSL fondly: “the ecology group at UMSL is a close knit
family where students and professors alike offer support and help when
needed. It was great to share my PhD experience with such a diverse local
and international cohort that has so many different field and laboratory
skill sets.” Now, Priya will be returning to her home country to work as
the Co-manager of the Center for the Study of Biological Diversity at the
University of Guyana.
Dr. Leticia Gutierrez’s dissertation, *Anthropogenic disturbance modulates
mammal community diversity, assembly and abundance: emerging infectious
disease risk in the Greater Yellowstone Area*, “examines the role of
mammalian biodiversity in maintaining overall ecosystem health in the
Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. The study explores the pathways by which
anthropogenic disturbance prevents or promotes the emergence of human
infectious diseases.” To research this, she “first surveyed the GYE rodent
community and their pathogens by using land use as a measure of
anthropogenic disturbance (e.g., human settlements, horseback ranches,
pastures, undisturbed). I identified pathogens in rodent blood samples
belonging to 8 pathogen genera. Next, I used a variety of methods to
elucidate the general pattern of host-pathogen association in the system,
to tease apart the effect of land use change on infection patterns in the
rodent assembly, and to study reservoir population density change among
treatments.” She explains that she also “addressed the role of rodent
life-history strategies in determining community disease prevalence by
measuring innate and acquired immune responses across land use change.” As
a result, Dr. Gutierrez found that anthropogenic disturbances do increase
the risk of diseases, mainly because other host species become abundant.
She concluded that “the direct effect of anthropogenic disturbance on the
occurrence and density of infectious diseases reflects a complex array of
numerous interacting factors.”

The Harris Center funded Leticia’s work in several ways, which were
“fundamental to obtain pilot data, which enabled me to receive several
highly competitive grants that fully funded my dissertation. I also
received partial travel support which allowed me to present my dissertation
results in numerous renowned international scientific conferences.” Leticia
will be starting the position of “Field Veterinarian: Epidemology/Disease
Ecology” with EcoHealth Alliance in January 2017.
*Scholarships Awarded *

Abts, Ben (MS, Dunlap Lab): Travel scholarship to attend the 2016 Animal
Behavior Society Annual Meeting and present a poster.  Mallinckrodt
Graduate Fellowship in Tropical Ecology $300.

Acha, Serena (PhD, Muchhala Lab): Research scholarship for her
project: *“Systematics
and evolution of one of the most diverse clades of passion flowers:
Passiflora section Decaloba.”*  Stephen Mitchell Doyle Scholarship $4,000.

Austin, Matt (PhD, Dunlap Lab): Research scholarship for his project:
*“Comparative
assessment of behavioral plasticity capacities and declines in species of
North American bumblebees (Apidae:Bombus).”*  Terracon Research Scholarship
$3,443.

Calderon-Acevedo, Camilo (PhD, Muchhala Lab): *“Research scholarship for
his project: “Molecular phylogeny of the genus Anoura using target capture
of ultra conserved elements; Continuation of the project: Species limits of
the genus Anoura Gray 1838 and its diversification pattern in the Andes.”*
Stephen Mitchell Doyle Scholarship $1,430; Peter H. Raven World Ecology
Research Award $2,570.

Erkenswick, Gideon (PhD, Parker Lab): Travel scholarship to attend 2016
joint meeting of the International Primatological Society and the American
Society of Primatologists and present three posters: *“Reproductive status
affects scent-marking behvario in a free-ranging group of saddleback
tamarins (Saguinus weddelli) with multiple breeding females in Peru”, “An
analysis spatial associations by home range overlap and land-use densities
between free-ranging groups of saddleback (Saguinus weddelli) and emperor
(S. imperator) tamarins”, and “Tamarin hips don’t lie: modeling breeding
status from reproductive morphology in the saddleback (Saguinus weddelii)
and emperor (S. imperator) tamarin”.*  Mallinckrodt Graduate Fellowship in
Tropical Ecology $300.

Hoffman, Christina (MS, Dunlap Lab): Travel scholarship to attend the 2016
Animal Behavior Society Annual Meeting and present a poster.  Mallinckrodt
Graduate Fellowship in Tropical Ecology $300.

Humphries, Meghann (PhD, Ricklefs Lab):  Travel scholarship to attend the
2017 International Biogeography Society Meeting and present her
poster: *“Historical
Biogeography of Bananaquits on Puerto Rico.”*  Harris Center Conference
Travel Award $461.66

Jones, Nathaniel (undergraduate, Parker Lab):  Research scholarship for his
project: *“Molecular Approaches to Screen for Avian Malaria in Galapagos
Mosquitoes, Aedes taeniorhynchus and Culex quinquefasciatus.”*  Marcelle
Kranzberg Undergraduate Research Scholarship $1,336.

Namgay, Rinchen (MS, Marquis):  Research scholarship for his project:
*“Estimating
range shifts of Juniperus species in the Himalaya of Bhutan.”  *John Denver
Memorial Scholarship $4,000.

Rasambainarivo, Fidisoa (PhD, Parker Lab):  Research scholarship for his
project: *“I like to move it, move it: Home range, movement and space use
patterns of the Fosa (Cryptoprocta ferox) in a human dominated landscape of
Madagascar.”*  Van Trease Graduate Scholarship $1,800; Stokes Family
Scholarship $1,600; Jane Harris Scholarship $460.

Salah, Sawsan (undergraduate, Parker Lab):  Research scholarship for her
project: *“Troubleshooting PCR primers for screening blood meals of Culex
quinquefasciatus, a species of mosquito in the Galapagos archipelago.”*
Thomas F. George Undergraduate Ecology Research Fund $2,007.

Smith, Laura (undergraduate, Muchhala Lab):  Research scholarship for her
project:* “Have differences in Burmeistera calyx lobes evolved to promote
floral constancy?”*  Marcelle Kranzberg Undergraduate Research Scholarship
$1,671.

Street, Lynnsey (undergraduate, Dunlap Lab):  Research scholarship for her
project: *“Assessing evolutionary tradeoffs in memory forms with evolved
populations of Drosophila melanogaster.”*  Marcelle Kranzberg Undergraduate
Research Scholarship $1,000.
*Student External Research Grants*

Baer, Christina: Graduate School Dissertation Fellowship for Spring 2017
and Fall 2017.

*New Publications*

Arellano G., Umaῆa M. N., Macia M.,* Loza M. I.*, Fuentes A., Cala V.,
and *Jørgensen
P. M.*, 2016. The role of niche overlap, environmental heterogeneity.
Landscape roughness and productivity in shaping species abundances
distributions along the Amazon-Andes gradient*. Global Ecology and
Biodiversity. *http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/geb.12531/full
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=12363e388d&e=d1ca7a3fd2>

*Dunlap A. S.*, Stephens D. W. Reliability, uncertainty, and costs in the
evolution of animal learning. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences.
Volume 12, December 2016, Pages 73–79. http://www.sciencedirect.com/
science/article/pii/S2352154616301759
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=cb731953e3&e=d1ca7a3fd2>

Ellis, V. A., M. C. I. Medeiros, M. D. Collins, E. H. R. Sari, E. D.
Coffey, R. C. Dickerson, C. Lugarini, J. A. Stratford, D. R. Henry, L.
Merrill, A. E. Marrhews, A. A. Hanson, J.R. Roberts, M. Joyce, M. R.
Kunkel, and *R. E. Ricklefs*. 2016. Prevalence of avian haemosporidian
parasites is positively related to the abundance of host species at
multiple sites within a region. Parasitology Research, DOI:
10.1007/s00436-016-5263-3.

Ettling, JA, LA Aghasyan, AL Aghasyan, *PG Parker*.  2016.  Spatial ecology
of Armenian Vipers, Montivipera raddei, in two different landscapes:
Human-modified vs. recovered-natural.  Russian Journal of Herpetology
23:93-102.

*Gamba, D., Maguiña*, N.R., Calderón-Acevedo, C.A., Torres, K., *Muchhala,
N.C.* (2016). Seed dispersal for the unusual inflated berries of
Burmeistera (Campanulaceae). Neotropical Biodiversity. In Press.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23766808.2016.1258868
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=d80b52213c&e=d1ca7a3fd2>

Holl K.D., Reid J.L., *Chaves-Fallas J.M.*, F. Oviedo-Brenes & R.A. Zahawi.
2016. Local forest restoration strategies affect biodiversity recovery more
strongly than does landscape forest cover. *Journal of Applied Ecology*.
doi: 10.1111/1365-2664.12814

*Jaramillo, M*, M Donaghy-Cannon, FH Vargas, *PG Parker*.  2016.  The diet
of the Galapagos Hawk (Buteo galapagoensis) before and after goat
eradication.  J. Raptor Research 50:33-44.

Jiménez, J.E., Juárez P., *Chaves-Fallas J.M*. 2016.  *Cupania moralesii*
(Sapindaceae), a new tree species from the premontane forest of Costa Rica.
*Phytotaxa* 275: 69–74.

Levin, II, RE Colborn, D Kim, NG Perlut, RB Renfrew, *PG Parker*.  2016.
Local parasite lineage sharing ini temperate grassland birds provides clues
about potential origins of Galapagos avian Plasmodium.  Ecology and
Evolution 6: 716-726.

*Marquis R.*, Salazar D., *Baer C.*, Reinhardt J., Priest G., Barnett K.
Ode to Ehrlich and Raven or how herbivorous insects might drive plant
speciation.  http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ecy.1534/full
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=26e69a4f2e&e=d1ca7a3fd2>

Medeiros, M. C. I., *R. E. Ricklefs*, J. D. Brawn, M. O. Ruiz, T. L.
Goldberg, and G. L. Hamer. 2016. Overlap in the seasonal infections
patterns of avian malaria parasites and West Nile Virus in vectors and
hosts. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 95(5): 1121-1129.

*Parker, P.G.*  2016.  A Most Unusual Hawk:  One Mother and Several
Fathers.  pp. 130-137 in, "Galapagos: Preserving Darwin's Legacy."  Tui de
Roy, editor.  Bloomsbury Press, London.

*Parker, P.G.*  2016.  Parasites and Pathogens: Threats to Native Birds.
pp. 177-183 in, "Galapagos" Preserving Darwin's Legacy."  Tui de Roy,
editor.  Bloomsbury Press, London.

Pomerantz, J, *FT Rasambainarivo*, L Dollar, LP Rahajanirina, R.
Andrianaivoarivelo, *PG Parker*, E Dubovi.  2016.  Prevalence of antibodies
to selected viruses and parasites in introduced and endemic carnivores in
Western Madagascar.  J. Wildlife Diseases 52:544-552.

Qian, H., and *R. E. Ricklefs*. 2016. Our of the tropical lowlands:
latitude versus elevation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 31 (10):
 738-741.

*Ricklefs R.*, Medeiros M., Ellis V., Svensson-Coelho M., *Soares L.*,
Fecchio A., Marra P., Latta S.,
Valkiunas G., Hellgren O. and Bensch S. Migration and the distribution of
avian malaria parasites
in New World passerine birds. (accepted at Journal of Biogeography)

*Ricklefs, R. E.*, *L. Soares*, V. A. Ellis, and S. C. Latta. 2016.
Haemosporidian parasites and avian host population abundance in the Lesser
Antilles. Journal of Biogeography 43(7): 1277-1286.

Salazar, D., M. A. Jaramillo, and *R. J. Marquis*. Chemical similarity and
local community assembly in the species rich tropical genus Piper. Ecology
97: 3176-3183.

Santos, A. M. C., R. Field, and *R. E. Ricklefs*. New directions in island
biogeography. Global Ecology and Biogeography 25(7): 751-768.

*Soares L.*, Ellis V. and *Ricklefs R.* 2016. Co-infections of
haemosporidian and trypanosome parasites in a North American songbird.
*Parasitology
*143 (14): 1930-1938. doi: 10.1017/S0031182016001384

*Soares L.*, Escudero G., Penha V., *Ricklefs R.* 2016. Low prevalence of
haemosporidian parasites on shorebird species of Argentina. *Ardea *104
(2): 129-141.

Svensson-Coelho, M., B. A. Loiselle, J. G. Blake, and *R. E. Ricklefs*.
2016. Resource predictability and specialization in avian malaria
parasites. Molecular Ecology 25 (17): 4377-4391.

Svensson-Coelho, M., G. T. Silva, S. S. Santos, L. S. Miranda, L. A.
Araujo-Silva, *R. E. Ricklefs*, C. Y. Miyaki, and M. Maldonado-Coelho.
2016. Lower detection probability of avian *Plasmodium* in blood compared
to other tissues. Journal of Parasitology 102(5): 559-561.
*World Ecology Award Winners in the News*
*Jacques Cousteau *(1992 WEA Recipient):  Read an interesting article about
Jacque Cousteau’s relationship with Fidel Castro and how it influenced the
preservation of Cuba’s oceans.
http://www.ecowatch.com/castro-cousteau-kennedy-cuba-2128503553.html
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=f67c5a7e1e&e=d1ca7a3fd2>

*Harrison Ford* (2002 WEA Recipient):  Ford received the 2016 Murie Spirit
of Conservation Award*.  *http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/
valley/feature/murie-center-honors-spirit-of-conservation/
article_c8179ae4-7137-55dd-8c43-d13bc5da0944.html
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=fd4a4d8e80&e=d1ca7a3fd2>

*HRH Prince of Whales* (2003 WEA Recipient):  Prince Charles named new
Patron of Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust.  http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/
charlesandcamilla/prince-charles-named-new-patron-of-
wildfowl-and-wetlands-trust-73776
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=a234a8518f&e=d1ca7a3fd2>

*Dereck and Beverly Joubert *(2008 WEA Recipients):  Catch up on what the
Jouberts have been up to this year in this brief overview of their work,
which included yet another documentary entitled “Game of Lions”.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/01/dereck-and-beverly-
joubert_n_4368212.html
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=d6ae2bc287&e=d1ca7a3fd2>

*His Serene Highness Prince Albert II of Monaco* (2013 WEA Recipients):
Prince Albert discusses the need to address climate change and has reached
out to Donald Trump to address the topic.  https://eos.org/articles/
monaco-leader-urges-climate-action-calls-trump-help
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=fa4f89ea65&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
Students from the Harris Center were able to meet with the 2016 World
Ecology Award winner Sylvia Earle. From left to right: Juan Moreira,
Andreia Figuerido, Christina Baer, Miguel Chaves, Heritiana Ranarivelo,
Sylvia Earle, Serena Acha, Patricia Mendoza, and Rossana Maguina (alumni).

<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=4d9ae9a10b&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=6758546521&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=22238ffa68&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
*Copyright © 2016 Whitney R. Harris World Ecology Center, All rights
reserved.*
You are recieving this email becuase you previously subscribed to our
newsletter.

*Our mailing address is:*
University of Missouri–St. Louis
1 University Blvd. B216 Benton Hall
St. Louis, MO 63121-4400

You can update your preferences
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/profile?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=40cf3afe88&e=d1ca7a3fd2>
or unsubscribe from this list
<http://umsl.us13.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&id=40cf3afe88&e=d1ca7a3fd2&c=a29834fb52>

[image: Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=d09ccab09fb91ebc0ed170a62&afl=1>