[Pollinator] [beemonitoring] Scare Tactics?

John Purdy johnrpurdy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 07:29:17 PST 2016

It would be good if those who announce the finding of viruses that are new
or in new species could hold to a standard of science reporting that
includes confirmation of both replication and pathogenicity.  The first of
these is easy once the RNA sequence is known but the second takes some
effort. Viruses can be complicated. there is no merit in "crying wolf", but
on the other hand we have experiences like Zika virus which was considered
insignificant until the possibility of a major pathogenic outcome arose.

The other problems in working with viruses is the lack of diagnostic
symptoms and the lack of quantitative thresholds for the results of
molecular methods of detection.

For interest, I have attached a PDF of a USDA bulletin from 1914 that
describes the symptoms of viruses. Viruses must have been a new phenomenon
at the time,but the knowledge have been forgotten and rediscovered several
times since then. Notice how similar they are to the symptoms described for
pesticide poisoning.  A troubling ambiguity.

John Purdy, PhD