[Pollinator] Mischocyttarus flavitarsis, Western Paper Wasp

Travis O enoster at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 10 09:25:29 PDT 2016

Mischocyttarus flavitarsis is a native wasp which is comparatively docile when considering other social wasps (Vespa, Vespula, Polistes, etc.) I was able to get very close without instigating an altercation. I took several macro photos of the beautiful queen and her intricately woven fibrous nest and included some natural historical and ecological facts and observations. Like other short tongued vespids, the adults feed on shallow flowers like those in the Apiaceae. See this link:

http://www.amateuranthecologist.com/2016/07/mischocyttarus-flavitarsis.html

Thank you,

Travis Owen
Rogue River, OR