[Pollinator] Outer Limits (1964)

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Wed Jul 27 06:18:06 PDT 2016

For several years a local station in St. Louis has been showing the old
"Outer Limits" series from the 1960's.  In the 1964 program, "Zzzzz" a
honeybee queen turns into a woman and attempts to seduce an entomologist.
No, it is not a comedy as the entomologist's wife is murdered by the
queen's sisters.  Those who remember the original series of The Outer
Limits will recall how the cinematography emphasized darkness and a film
noir style.  This is no exception.

I would have liked to send you a link to the entire program but it's not
available unless you join Hulu. This link will take you to a blog that
embeds the prologue.  A lot of commentary follows about the script and
actors.  This is the safest blog I found as The Outer Limits" attracts a
lot of comments on the Web and many of them are very rude.  We don't want
Sam Droege to have a heart attack about inappropriate language to NAPPC
members, do we?

It is worthwhile to have a look at the full show to ask one important
question.  How far has the entertainment industry come depicting Apis
mellifera based on articles and documentaries produced by scientists,
conservationists and naturalists?  I don't think much has changed about how
 Hollywood thinks about honeybees in 50 years.  Bees and insects in general
remain convenient villains.  However, if you watch the entire program, they
don't depict women in quite the same way and that's a good thing.  Here's
the link...

http://wearecontrollingtransmission.blogspot.com/2011/01/zzzzz.html

Peter