[Pollinator] New Tool: Bees of Maryland, USA via Flickr "Collections"

Droege, Sam sdroege at usgs.gov
Mon Mar 21 17:39:52 PDT 2016

All:

After looking at Steven Falk's fabulous Bee Flickr site.I discovered that
he used the new "collections" feature to organize, map, and talk about his
pictures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63075200@N07/collections

I have now mimicked his site for the Bees of Maryland, which will have
relevance for most people doing bee work throughout Eastern North American
and should be of interest to those elsewhere who are fascinated by bees.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/usgsbiml/collections

We present photographs grouped by species and provide the taxonomic
structure above those groups of species pictures so you can easily find
your way around, locate the pictures you are looking for, see what pictures
are missing, download what you want, and, ultimately, read about them as we
develop the structure further for ease of use.

We also provide a bit of information about each of the Genera focusing on
status and identification (the lab's emphasis). As we have time we will add
more pictures and more information for the species...and create other
collections for North America north of Mexico.

In the meantime we hope you will find this useful and we encourage you to
send in corrections and additions.

Many thanks to the technicians, interns, and volunteers in our lab who
helped put this collection together, along with the many picture-takers,
photoshoppers, and bee groomers.

Please feel free to distribute the link above and to use any of these
Flickr photographs in any way you please.

Sam Droege sdroege at usgs.gov w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300
Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705 Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov I died for beauty
but was scarce Adjusted in the tomb, When one who died for truth was lain
In an adjoining room. He questioned softly why I failed? "For beauty," I
replied. "And I for truth,--the two are one; We brethren are," he said. And
so, as kinsmen met a night, We talked between the rooms, Until the moss had
reached our lips, And covered up our names. -Dickinson

--
*Bees are Not Optional*

*Apes sunt et non liberum*