[Pollinator] Color polymorphisms in violets

Droege, Sam sdroege at usgs.gov
Sat Nov 19 21:19:56 PST 2016

>From the Death of Flowers by Bryant

The wind-flower and the violet, they perished long ago,
And the brier-rose and the orchis died amid the summer glow;
But on the hill the goldenrod, and the aster in the wood,
And the yellow sunflower by the brook in autumn beauty stood,
Till fell the frost from the clear cold heaven, as falls the plague on men,
And the brightness of their smile was gone, from upland, glade, and glen.

Nice paper, interesting that you did have no A. violae...may not be common
out your way.  Andrena species when given choices as to which bowl color to
die in far prefer yellow to blue...except for A. violae which almost
exclusively dies in the later.  A. carlini is indeed a super common
generalist species.

sam

--
*Bees are Not Optional*