[Pollinator] Ten policies for pollinators

David Inouye inouye at umd.edu
Sun Nov 27 11:06:05 PST 2016

If you can't access this, I can send a copy.

Dicks, L. V., B. Viana, R. Bommarco, B. Brosi, M. d. C. Arizmendi, S. A.
Cunningham, L. Galetto, R. Hill, A. V. Lopes, C. Pires, H. Taki and S.
G. Potts (2016). "Ten policies for pollinators." Science 354(6315): 975-976.

Summary

Earlier this year, the first global thematic assessment from the
Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem
Services (IPBES) evaluated the state of knowledge about pollinators and
pollination (/1/, /2/). It confirmed evidence of large-scale wild
pollinator declines in northwest Europe and North America and identified
data shortfalls and an urgent need for monitoring elsewhere in the
world. With high-level political commitments to support pollinators in
the United States (/3/), the United Kingdom (/4/), and France (/5/);
encouragement from the Convention on Biological Diversity's (CBD's)
scientific advice body (/6/); and the issue on the agenda for next
month's Conference of the Parties to the CBD, we see a chance for
global-scale policy change. We extend beyond the IPBES report, which we
helped to write, and suggest 10 policies that governments should
seriously consider to protect pollinators and secure pollination
services. Our suggestions are not the only available responses but are
those we consider most likely to succeed, because of synergy with
international policy objectives and strategies or formulation of
international policy creating opportunities for change. We make these
suggestions as independent scientists and not on behalf of IPBES.

--
Dr. David W. Inouye
Professor Emeritus
inouye at umd.edu