[Pollinator] Competition among bees

David Inouye inouye at umd.edu
Wed Nov 30 08:53:51 PST 2016

Lindström, S. A. M., et al. (2016). "Experimental evidence that
honeybees depress wild insect densities in a flowering crop."
Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 283(1843).
     While addition of managed honeybees (Apis mellifera) improves
pollination of many entomophilous crops, it is unknown if it
simultaneously suppresses the densities of wild insects through
competition. To investigate this, we added 624 honeybee hives to 23
fields of oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.) over 2 years and made sure
that the areas around 21 other fields were free from honeybee hives. We
demonstrate that honeybee addition depresses the densities of wild
insects (bumblebees, solitary bees, hoverflies, marchflies, other flies,
and other flying and flower-visiting insects) even in a massive flower
resource such as oilseed rape. The effect was independent of the
complexity of the surrounding landscape, but increased with the size of
the crop field, which suggests that the effect was caused by spatial
displacement of wild insects. Our results have potential implications
both for the pollination of crops (if displacement of wild pollinators
offsets benefits achieved by adding honeybees) and for conservation of
wild insects (if displacement results in negative fitness consequences).