[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 09/01/16 (Magnificent Muscadines)

research at hiltonpond.org research at hiltonpond.org
Wed Oct 19 16:37:11 PDT 2016

September was a very busy month for banding Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at Hilton Pond Center, but I still had time to sample the delightful sweetness of wild Muscadine grapes found on the property. These native vines provide food for birds and mammals—and nectar for halictid wasps--and are increasingly sought as a source of juice for craft wines. To read about Muscadines--including suggestions on how to eat them correctly--check our "This Week at Hilton Pond" photo essay for 1-30 Sep 2016 at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek160901.html

Don't forget to scroll down for a list of all birds banded during the period.

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL

Please "Like" our new Facebook pages at http://www.facebook.com/HiltonPond for timely updates on nature topics,
and for info about hummingbirds at http://www.facebook.com/rubythroats

Follow us on Twitter @hiltonpond
=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
℅ BILL HILTON JR., D.Sci.
Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org