[Pollinator] Fwd: [New post] Honeybees and Corn 2016

Stephanie Parreira parreirastephanie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 14:42:04 PDT 2016

This is a highly over-simplified opinion about the neonicotinoid problem. I
would have further questions for the above person, such as, are there
weather differences between the region where the colonies died and the
place your colonies are (windy conditions can blow neonic-laden dust into
colonies and onto foraging bees, so if one place is windier than the other,
bee exposure and response may be different)? Is the area of planted corn
significantly different from the area of corn in Ontario (more corn planted
= more potential exposure to neonics and less alternative forage)?

Anecdotal evidence will do no one any good, whether that anecdotal evidence
argues against neonicotinoid use or for it. We should take things like this
with a grain of salt and understand that there are many factors at play
that may increase the potential of pesticides to severely affect honey bee
colonies.  I am not saying that beekeeper practices cannot be improved to
increase colony survival, but to blame beekeeping practices without any
comparison or contrast between beekeeping practices, landscape and foraging
environment, and pesticide exposure (in-hive or forager residues), it is
irresponsible to jump to this conclusion.

(Furthermore, even if neonicotinoids are not the issue for honey bee
colonies specifically, we should still be concerned about their many
detrimental effects on native bee populations, which have been demonstrated
in the scientific literature time and time again.)