[Pollinator] Integrating Pollinator and Human Landscapes

Hank Jones acorn at treenuts.ca
Fri Sep 16 09:49:49 PDT 2016

Sam et al, here in Constance Bay Village in Ottawa, Canada, we converted to a pollinator front garden eight years ago. It looks like a wild meadow, with its few fruit trees and shrubs scattered amongst the unruly forbs. It seems wild, wild, wild, except for one small innovation Vera installed: winding annually mown pathways with stepping boards. The regularly-spaced boards are highly visible. Of course, they gradually rot into the ground but these are quickly replaced. Almost no maintenance required. The pathways fit the landscape beautifully. AND, admiring visitors, even young children, traverse the garden via the paths instinctively stepping from board to board. Seems these boards alone meet the site’s total need for neatness, stewardship and naturalness. Everyone is happy :-)