[Pollinator] Forgotten but Not Gone: The Rusty Patched Bumble Bee

Matthew Shepherd matthew.shepherd at xerces.org
Wed Sep 28 12:03:27 PDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I’m sure you’re all aware of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s
announcement last week that the rusty patched bumble bee should be added to
the endangered species list. In the days since, there has been an amazing
amount of interest and media coverage (over 450 articles that we know of!).
I wanted to share a particularly good article with you from *bioGraphic*, a
recently launched an online magazine/website from the California Academy of
Sciences. The editor and journalist began working on this article before we
knew of last week’s FWS announcement, so their timing was fortuitously
perfect. Hannah Nordhaus did a nice job writing, and Neil Losin of Day’s
Edge produced a lovely video. (Neil also did “A Ghost in the Making
<http://www.rustypatched.com/the-film/>” with us.)

http://www.biographic.com/posts/sto/forgotten-but-not-gone-the-rusty-patched-bumble-bee

The video isn’t that obvious, but it is the first photo in the body of the
article, which says “Forgotten but Not Gone” on the sky. Jamie Strange of
the USDA-ARS bee lab in Logan, UT, is compelling.

Matthew

­----------

Matthew Shepherd

Communications Director

[image: Xerces-logo-CMYK-email_Outlook]

Protecting the Life That Sustains Us

Connect:    www.xerces.org      Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/xerces.society/>     Twitter
<https://twitter.com/xercessociety>     Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/xercessociety/?hl=en>     Blog
<http://www.xerces.org/blog/>     E-newsletter
<https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001HTk7N6nZumLPinBr8VACbNdTXCe732bGu6KpqC13JAKPti_HBe5xyr7t0p4mDfKe2dOsd-TB1qvv772s6GQfVa_SbKKfwBiwl4blH4KvCjq4dpmA2M9UNZ2axlQwu_1Gvjrl2Rb53WUZwsddwCzyorgxedLAaMy3>

628 NE Broadway, Suite 200,   Portland, OR 97232,   USA

Office: (503) 232-6639 x110

Cell: (503) 807-1577

matthew.shepherd at xerces.org