[Pollinator] Fwd: from Gary

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Wed Apr 5 08:02:44 PDT 2017

Since the 1950's there has been a "suspicion" that larger, terrestrial
marsupials (non-climbing, smaller "roos") pollinate some flowers emerge
from the ground on rather short stems (geoflorous).  It was very
theoretical and there was no hard evidence although publications, beginning
in the 1970's, showed that very small, climbing marsupials (pygmy and honey
possums) pollinated a number of members of the Macadamia nut family
(Proteaceae).   The following attachment suggests that things may be
changing.  Dr. G. Wilson is a long-time colleague best known for his
taxonomic studies on cycads and Nepenthes.

Peter

>From Dr. Wilson:

In a previous email I mentioned a project on the root-parasite *Balanophora*
*fungosa* that I am involved in. Well, the first paper has just come out
and I think you will find it of interest. We will do the nectar analysis,
pollen description, and describe the pollination biology later in the year
when this species flowers again.

Regards

*Gary W Wilson*
Biologist and Photographer
Adjunct Research Fellow, Australian Tropical Herbarium