[Pollinator] : Newsletter NY Bee Wellness December 2017

Pat seawaytrailhoney at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 05:17:56 PST 2017

  Newsletter NY Bee Wellness December 2017

|  Subscribe here!  |

|  To see the full newsletter: View this email in your browser  |

|    |

|   December 2017 Newsletter NY Bee Wellness
NY Bee Wellness - a grassroots educational 501c3  |

|  Contents:
   - Fall Survey
   - Youtube Lecture Videos
   - Tracheal Mites
   - Quiz Yourself!
   - Random Acts of Kindness
   - Bee-L forum
   - Geospatial Repository
   - USDA Surveys
   - Randy Oliver's Varroa Model
   - Links
   - Donate

|  Best Wishes for the New Year!
  |

|  'TIS THE SEASON... ...to rid your bees of phoretic mites! While most of the varroa mites reside under the cappings with the pupae, during broodless periods the mites will live through the winter attached to the adult bees, biding their time until the first brood is available-  when the queen begins to lay in mid-late January.
Fall 2017 in New York State has been very mild, with prolonged brood rearing in many hives.   Application of oxalic acid, either by liquid or vapor should be done by New Years Day during the hive's broodless period.

Pictured below is a brood frame from the very end of October; how many unusual things do you see? Click to view enlarged photo.

|      |

|      |

The Fall 2017 New York Bee Wellness Survey is still open!

there are a few weeks left to respond. Results are broken down into regions within New York State, so you can see how your area did.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/B9GWFQN
We would like to assess how 2017 was for NON-migratory New York State beekeepers and their beehives. Information may help to determine trends in honeybee health and enable beekeepers to see these trends.
Watch for the 5th annual Spring Survey in April 2018.

NEW NY Bee Wellness Lecture Videos added, featuring Dr. Medhat Nasr of Alberta Canada
   - Biology of Wintering Bees
   - Honey Bee diseases and Pests
   - Proactive Beekeeping
   - What is Killing Our Bees

The NY Bee Wellness You Tube video page has other lectures, by Randy Oliver, and Megan Milbrath PhD Michigan State.
These videos can be used as resources for beekeeper classes or meetings. Some are good for beginners or people interested in beekeeping, some may touch on more advanced topics such as queen breeding. There are 3 short tutorials on doing an alcohol mite wash, testing for American Foulbrood, and ways to check nosema levels.

The most popular video is "Tips on Working Bees" by Randy Oliver, which is good for people thinking of starting beekeeping, beginners, or any other beekeepers.
***SMART PHONE USERS download this app by Medhat Nasr to diagnose honey bee disease"
* Bee Health app- Alberta Agriculture, focuses on honey bee diseases  |

|     Spotlight on Tracheal Mites
 The first invasive honey bee mite on the North American Continent was the  tracheal mite (acapis woodi) in the 1980's.  Prevalence of tracheal mites has greatly decreased, possibly due to use of Formic acid in hives for the varroa mite. Positive diagnosis can only be made by microscopic examination of the tracheae; since only A. woodi is found in the bee tracheae, this is an important diagnostic feature.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/74070/honey-bee-tracheal-mites:-gone-but-not-for-good
 Symptoms: K-wings, "crawlers", decreased winter survival
Diagnosis: Dissection of bees (pdf), send bee samples to Beltsville Bee Lab
Treatment: Menthol, Formic Acid, grease patties
 Take the Tracheal mites quiz!
 Below: photos from the OBA-TTP Advanced IPM Workshop  |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|  QUIZ YOURSELF!

Take the online NY Bee Wellness honey bee disease quizzes:
   - Tracheal Mites Quiz
   - Varroa Mites Quiz
   - Foul Brood Quiz
   - SHB & Chalk Brood Quiz
   - Nosema Quiz
 All quizzes are self grading and can be used for teaching. Quizzes written by Al Avitabile PhD.  |

|  Random acts of Kindness-

Most beekeepers do not attend beekeeper meetings or workshops and classes. Some may not have the time or money. By offering FREE videos by the top experts in beekeeping, NY Bee Wellness helps to educate all beekeepers in keeping healthy bees.Your donation to NY Bee Wellness helps the beekeeping community who are not represented.
Have you benefited from NY Bee Wellness workshops, videos, or other info?
Please donate to continue the educational material that is provided!
There are several ways to give, PayPal, check, or platforms such as the Newman's Own Foundation Holiday Challenge:

|  Donate to support beekeeper education! (click here)  |

|  The latest talk on Bee-L
   - Overwintering: upper entrances, wrapping
   - Doubles vs Singles
   - Use of Fumagillin
Check the archive page for informed topics in beekeeping!
 BEE-L is a moderated list for the discussion of research and
information concerning the biology of bees. This includes honey
bees and other bees (and maybe even wasps). We communicate about
sociobiology, behavior, ecology, adaptation/evolution,
genetics, taxonomy, physiology, pollination, and flower
nectar and pollen production of bees.   |

|  CUGIR
Cornell University Geospatial Information Repository
https://cugir.library.cornell.edu/A fantastic new updated online tool to track data in New York State.
Explore and discover New York State data and metadata related to:
inland waters, property, geology, agriculture, environment, boundaries, society, landcover, biology, elevation, economy, More .
Check potential forage areas, soil types, etc.  |

|  Randy Oliver's Varroa Model

|  http://scientificbeekeeping.com/randys-varroa-model/

Randy Oliver:
"I feel that our industry and research community has long needed a useful, accurate, and user-friendly varroa population model–so I spent a year of early mornings and weekends creating this one.  You can use this model to predict what sort of mite management strategy will work in your area.
For Joe Beekeeper, the model is easy to use (see the snip below)–you simply type inputs into the three yellow cells to the left to see whether your colony is likely to crash.  In order to avoid such a crash, you can then apply one or more “treatments” (percent mite reductions) into any yellow cell to the right–each time you click on another cell or hit “enter,” the model instantly runs a new simulation.  By this method, you can test various mite management strategies at your computer."
Tutorial #1 (10:02):  Basic introduction–how to download and open the Excel workbook (including the best viewing settings), and how to use an included simplified model to explain basic varroa population dynamics and necessary mite reductions (I’ve also included printable written instructions at the bottom of this webpage).

Tutorial #2  (8:56): How to work with the model to understand varroa buildup and the effects of treatments.  I show the example of how I use the model for mite management in my own operation.

Tutorial #3 (8:29):  For moderately-advanced users who wish to customize the model by inputting the regionally-specific “Colony” parameters for their ecoregion and management style.

Tutorial #4 (5:35):  Intended for bee researchers, bee breeders, and advanced users who want to gain a deeper understanding of varroa population dynamics, mite management, and the effects of various traits for mite resistance.  It also shows how to better understand how the model produces its simulations.  |

                                                      2017 Census of Agriculture Gets UnderwayFarm operations of all sizes which produced and sold, or normally would have sold, $1,000 or more of agricultural product in 2017 are included in the census, as well as beekeepers with less than 5 hives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------USDA to Measure Bee and Honey Production and Colony LossThe U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Agricultural Statistics
Service (NASS) will be collecting information about the honey industry. The Bee Production and Loss, Bee and Honey Inquiry, and Quarterly Colony Loss surveys will be conducted over the period of November 2017 through February of 2018. These surveys collect information about colony inventory and loss, honey production and sales, and production expenses from approximately 2,500 growers in the Northeastern region of the United States.
USDA Measures Cost of Pollination The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Agricultural Statistics Service(NASS) will conduct its 2017 Cost of Pollination survey from October through December of 2017. Thesurvey will collect information about commodity acres, colony numbers and cost from approximately 3,000 growers in the Northeastern region of the United States.  |

|  Dead Winter Hives?
   - Close up the hive to prevent robbing on warm days
   - Send a sample of any brood and bees to Beltsville Bee Lab
   - Dead bees can be checked for mites: scoop up 1/2 cup of bees (~300 bees) and do an alcohol wash
   - Toss out old frames or frames with dead brood- have a winter bonfire (check NYS DEC Rules)
   - Secure clean honey frames for use in the Spring

|      |
|  NY Bee Wellness videos
1) Tips on Working Bees Randy Oliver
2) Healthy Bees, Meghan Milbrath (MSU)
3) Nosema & Varroa Mites Randy Oliver
4) The Times They are a Changin', Randy Oliver
5) Mite resistant queen stock , Meghan Milbrath (MSU)   |

|      |
|  Crop Insurance Program (ELAP)
Info from Cornell Dyson School of Applied Economics; Apiary Fact SheetAgent locator  |

|      |
|  Mite wash jars, oxalic, books available for purchase  |

|    |
|  Great How-to videos from the University of Guelph Honey Bee Research Centre
  to provide new and advanced beekeepers with demonstrations by our staff on a variety of topics ranging from how to open a hive to queen rearing.   |

|  * www.pollinator.cals.cornell.edu; Master Beekeeping online course

 * COLOSS- International Honeybee Research Association, a good resource

 * Randy Oliver's latest update to his website, http://scientificbeekeeping.com/, click HERE

 *OSU recorded Webinars (Ohio State University)   *Be sure to check the Bee Health eXtension website, which includes the "Ask an Expert" option.

 *Subscribe to Bee-L, a list serve for Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology

 * Northeast Regional Climate Center Quarterly reports, OUTLOOKS

 * New York Crop Weather Report

 ***If you have an article, photos, or other info to share, please send to:
 newsletter at nybeewellness.org  |

|  * University of Montana Master Beekeeping Course, online

* Northeast Pollinator Partnership- a citizen science project creating a deeper understanding of the value of wild bees

* Northeastern IPM Center link to IPM Insights: Invasive species
 * Northern Bee Network - www.northernbeenetwork.org (anyone from any state can sign up and join for free!)

* Varroa resources - https://pollinators.msu.edu/resources/beekeepers/ ,includes the Sugar ROLL technique
* Journey North!- Follow and help plot the the mapped signs of Fall!/  or The National Phenology Program

* Bee Health app- Alberta Agriculture, focuses on honey bee diseases

|  Support Beekeeper Education! https://youtu.be/wtt9DhJFsVU
 Your support continues the work of NY Bee Wellness, a grassroots, non-membership educational non-profit dedicated to new, beginning, and small scale beekeeping. If you benefit from the info, videos, workshops, surveys, website, or know of someone who does, please DONATE !
 Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and Amazon will donate to NY Bee Wellness at no cost to you!
*****
Donations can also be sent to:
NY Bee Wellness POB 25291 Rochester NY 14625

NY Bee Wellness is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Donations are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law.

 Sincerely,
            - Pat Bono, Project Director, NY Bee Wellness
                           Pat at NYBeeWellness.org  |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|  Copyright © 2017 NY Bee Wellness, All rights reserved.
 Teaching New York beekeepers how to keep honey bees healthy!

 Our mailing address is:
 NY Bee WellnessPOB 25291Rochester, NY 14625
Add us to your address book