[Pollinator] Seems like spring is a bit early this year

Weltzin, Jake jweltzin at usgs.gov
Tue Feb 21 14:32:02 PST 2017

Hi Kirk - check out the resources <https://www.usanpn.org/data/spring>
available from the USA National Phenology Network <http://usanpn.org>,
which includes daily Accumulated Growing Degree Day maps and a daily Index
of Spring threshold map, with associated 30-year anomalies, for the nation
but with 2.5 km spatial granularity.

The anomaly maps show Spring arriving over 3 weeks early in southern
Illinois, Indiana and extreme southern Ohio...

Here's a technical summary
<https://www.usanpn.org/files/reports/USA-NPN_AGDD-and-SiX.pdf>; the full
technical documentation is in press but should be out this week...

We'd be interested in hearing your reports
<https://www.facebook.com/USANPN/> of signs of early spring, or how
pollinators seem to be coping with yet another early year!  Or, participate
more formally at Nature's Notebook <http://naturesnotebook.org>.

Jake

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Kirk Wattles <kwattles at verizon.net> wrote:

> In Philadelphia, we seem to be about six weeks ahead of schedule,
> especially with a predicted warm spell toward the end of this week.  GDD
> will hit 60 this weekend, which "usually" happens at the end of March or in
> early April.  Elms, silver maple, and the early cherries are already
> blooming.
>
> For those who are watching how the spring of 2017 plays out in the world
> of pollinators, what organizations, websites, and resources are available?
>
> On facebook, check the hashtag #phillyblooms2017 , instigated by the
> Philadelphia Beekeepers Guild.
>
> - Kirk

Jake F. Weltzin
US Geological Survey
Program Manager, Status & Trends Program
Executive Director, USA National Phenology Network
USA-NPN National Coordinating Office
1311 East 4th Street
Tucson, AZ 85721
Office: 520-626-3821