[Pollinator] Pollinator Talk At USBG

Mims, Ray rmims at aoc.gov
Thu Mar 2 15:33:52 PST 2017

We have a great lecture that we scheduled at the last minute for next Wednesday<x-apple-data-detectors://0> and would love to get the word out to the plant and insect folks (and to any other networks you think would be interested). Jenny Cruse-Sanders was recently hired as the Director of the State Botanical Garden of Georgia, but spent a good part of her career running the science program at Atlanta Botanical Garden where she did a lot of great conservation work. Her talk will focus on the Greater Atlanta Pollinator Partnership<https://gapp.org/>. Please distribute the attached flyer for her lecture and let me know if you have any questions.

The Greater Atlanta Pollinator Partnership: A Model for Urban Pollinator Conservation

Presented by Dr. Jennifer M. Cruse-Sanders
Director of the State Botanical Garden of Georgia, University of Georgia, Athens, GA

Global pollinator populations are in decline for many reasons including habitat loss and overuse of pesticides. The Greater Atlanta Pollinator Partnership (GAPP) was initiated in 2009 due to the housing boom of the 1990s and early 2000s. Over a 20-year period, approximately 162,000 ha of pollinator-friendly native green space/ tree canopy were lost with an increase of 81,000 ha of impervious surface. Join Jennifer as she discusses the goals of the GAPP, including encouraging restoration, development, and registration of pollinator habitat at an ecologically significant landscape scale, restoring pollinator-friendly habitat, and educating the public through formal and informal programs.

DATE: Wednesday, March 8<x-apple-data-detectors://3>
TIME: 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.<x-apple-data-detectors://4>
LOCATION: U.S. Botanic Garden Conservatory Garden Court
FREE: Pre-registration required, visit www.USBG.gov/Programs<http://www.usbg.gov/Programs><http://www.usbg.gov/Programs>

Ray Mims
Sent from my iPhone