[Pollinator] Beetle in Amber Stirs Questions on Rise of Flowering Plants and their Pollinators

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Thu Mar 2 18:01:04 PST 2017

Dear Gary:

Thanks for sharing but the person who wrote it needs to review Geological
eras/periods and fossil evidence of flowering plants.

1)  Is it true that 105 Million years ago is mid-Mesozoic?  The Mesozoic
consists of the Permian, Jurassic and Cretaceous.  I forget how long each
lasts but wouldn't it be more likely that mid-Mesozoic is sometime in the
Jurassic?  Yes, I know that these periods didn't last equal amounts of time.

2) The fossil record shows that flowering plants are at least 120 million
years old.  The oldest are from China and Australia.  It's just that no one
has found a fossil flower in northern Spain yet. The oldest member of the
magnolia or liriodendron family is 100 million years old and comes from
Kansas.  Magnolias are beetle-pollinated in the modern day so who is to say
which plant was visited by this beetle?  In fact, some very interesting
flower fossils have been found within this time frame. See the following
link.

http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/science-archaeanthus-
ancient-ancestor-tulip-tree-01379.html

3) How can anyone say for sure that this beetle was carrying the pollen of
a cone-bearing or naked ovule tree (a gymnosperm) based on the pollen
grains?  The grains produced by  many basal flowering plants  (magnolias,
custard apples, Illicium), many monocots and the odder gymnosperms (gingko,
cycads) look remarkably similar.  They are shaped like footballs or jelly
beans with a germination slit (sulcus) running from pole to pole.  That's
what I see in the photo.  So let's be cautious.

4)  For those interested, this new beetle fossil was placed in the family,
Oedemeridae.  If you live in the eastern part of America wait for the
flowering of liver leaf (Hepatica acutiloba or H. nobilis).  Oedemerids in
the genus Asclera like to crawl into the flowers and eat the pollen and
chew up the tiny pistils.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2484189?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

5) The idea that flowering plants "replaced" gymnosperms as sources of
pollen and nectar for  earlier evolved lineages of beetles, flies, moths
and thrips is not new.  Please see the last chapter in my book (1999) and
I'll bet Dr. Lambadiera didn't give me any credit.

http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/R/bo3636149.html