[Pollinator] [beemonitoring] Fwd: Bees! [1 Attachment]

Droege, Sam sdroege at usgs.gov
Sun Mar 19 09:52:25 PDT 2017

All:

This, indeed, is an important paper for the following reasons.

1.  They are studing a generalist pollen bee (i.e. a bumblebee)
2.  They are directly estimating mortality and survivorship (rarely done
with bees....) using slick DNA techniques
3.  Habitat quality and richness is difficult to measure well (people
forget that is they are doing a correlational  study that if they measure
one thing precisely (say, bees) and another thing imprecisely (say,
habitat) that your ability to detect a correlation is still low even if one
is present (sneakily, one can also exploit this phenomenon if you find it
inconvenient to your hidden agenda to actually detect a correlation.
4.  So, even though this is a pollen generalist there is a strong
relationship with diverse plant communities.
5.  Thus, planting monocultures of "bee-friendly" plants is only a weak
response to declining bee populations
6.  Ergo, preserving, augmenting, and promoting diverse, species rich
blooming plant landscapes is the best approach to bee / plant / insect
conservation.

sam

Sam Droege  sdroege at usgs.gov
w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD  20705
Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

For All

Ah to be alive
on a mid-September morn
fording a stream
barefoot, pants rolled up,
holding boots, pack on,
sunshine, ice in the shallows,
northern rockies.

Rustle and shimmer of icy creek waters
stones turn underfoot, small and hard as toes
cold nose dripping
singing inside
creek music, heart music,
smell of sun on gravel.