[Pollinator] Update, re: Spotted Lanternfly - a growing threat to insect pollinators

Kirk Wattles kwattles at verizon.net
Sat Oct 21 10:13:49 PDT 2017

Just to update folks on developments in the SLF invasion.  Here's some of the news reported locally here in Pennsylvania (and now New Jersey).  Read the full articles, please.  I'm quoting a few bits, for a flavor of where we're at now.

(1) "The quarantine area has steadily expanded," Swackhamer said. "I’m certain it will expand again before the end of the year."

http://www.northjersey.com/story/news/environment/2017/10/08/tree-destroying-bug-on-njs-doorstep/618329001/

 (2) Emelie Swackhamer is one of the people working to contain it. Her video is a good introduction to the situation, as of this spring.  I've cued it to start at the 13m45s mark where, in May, she explains how they expected the quarantine to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXyfx5pBE1k&t=13m45s

(3) At a hearing this past week in the State Capitol,

“Pennsylvania Agriculture Secretary Russell C. Redding said the agency is on the hunt for solutions to the epidemic. ‘We have an exceptional team that has been working on this,’ he said. ‘WE ARE HOPEFUL THAT WE CAN FIND A SOLUTION, but after fighting this pest for several years, we know that WE CONTINUE TO FACE CHALLENGES as it adapts to its new surroundings.’” [Emphasis added.]

 http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/spotted-lanternfly-worries-berks-county-businesses

(4)  “Experts on the panel, however, cautioned that the focus of efforts to combat the spotted lanternfly's spread needs to be on the outer edges, where the insect can still be stopped.

“‘Our goal is not exclude the high volumes [of spotted lanternflies] on the inside, but IF WE DON'T DO A BETTER JOB OF CONTROLLING THE LEADING EDGE, it's not going to matter what's going on on the inside, because the inside is going to be the state of Pennsylvania, you know, the rate of spread that we're seeing over time, so WE HAVE TO FIND A WAY to contain it first,’ said Matthew Rhoads of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

“Whatever is done, both lawmakers, agriculture officials, and business owners agreed that time is running out to find a solution. Schwank closed the hearing by suggesting that the committees consider convening again in January.”

 http://www.wfmz.com/news/berks/pa-lawmakers-on-spotted-lanternfly-we-have-an-epidemic/640386357

--
Kirk Wattles
kwattles at verizon.net