[Pollinator] Maintaining pollinator habitat

Richard Johnstone ivmpartners at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 11:53:16 PDT 2018

You should use selective herbicides to target the non-native grasses first
to allow your forbs to grow. With the right herbicides there is no need to
mow or use sheep. If you use sheep without killing the non-native grasses,
they will most likely eat the native grasses and forbs first, and leave the
non-native grasses alone to dominate the site.
Rick Johnstone

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Kathleen Law <kl at pollinator.org> wrote:

> Hi Sabrina,
>
> I have no direct experience but here's a list of studies on the topic to
> get you started:
>

> Bai, Y. G., Z. Abouguendia, and R. E. Redmann. 2001. Relationship between
> plant species diversity and grassland condition. Journal of Range
> Management 54:177–183.
>
> Black, S. H., N. Hodges, M. Vaughan, and M. Shepherd. 2007. Pollinators in
> natural areas: a primer on habitat management. Lloydia (Cincinnati):8.
>
> Carvell, C. 2002. Habitat use and conservation of bumblebees (Bombus spp.)
> under different grassland management regimes. Biological Conservation
> 103:33–49.
>
> Dover, J. W., S. Spencer, S. Collins, I. Hadjigeorgiou, and A. Rescia.
> 2011. Grassland butterflies and low intensity farming in Europe. Journal of
> Insect Conservation 15:129–137.
>
> Elwell, S. L., T. Griswold, and E. Elle. 2016. Habitat type plays a
> greater role than livestock grazing in structuring shrubsteppe
> plant–pollinator communities. Journal of Insect Conservation.
>
> Farruggia, A., B. Dumont, A. Scohier, T. Leroy, P. Pradel, and J. P.
> Garel. 2012. An alternative rotational stocking management designed to
> favour butterflies in permanent grasslands. Grass and Forage Science
> 67:136–149.
>
> Fischer, S. J., E. H. Williams, L. P. Brower, and P. A. Palmiotto. 2015.
> Enhancing Monarch Butterfly Reproduction by Mowing Fields of Common
> Milkweed. The American Midland Naturalist 173:229–240.
>
> Hoffman, S., M. Shepherd, and M. Vaughan. 2011. Range Management for
> Pollinators. Society for Range Management 33:9–13.
>
> Hudewenz, A., A. M. Klein, C. Scherber, L. Stanke, T. Tscharntke, A.
> Vogel, A. Weigelt, W. W. Weisser, and A. Ebeling. 2012. Herbivore and
> pollinator responses to grassland management intensity along experimental
> changes in plant species richness. Biological Conservation 150:42–52.
>
> Kruess, A., and T. Tscharntke. 2002. Contrasting responses of plant and
> insect diversity to variation in grazing intensity. Biological Conservation
> 106:293–302.
>
> Kruess, A., and T. Tscharntke. 2014. Grazing intensity and the diversity
> of grasshoppers, butterflies and trap-nest bees and wasps. Conservation
> Biology 16:1570–1580.
>
> Machmuller, M. B., M. G. Kramer, T. K. Cyle, N. Hill, D. Hancock, and A.
> Thompson. 2015. Emerging land use practices rapidly increase soil organic
> matter. Nature Communications 6:6995.
>
> MacPhail, V., and J. Kyle. 2012. Rotational Grazing in Extensive Pastures.
> Guelph.
>
> McGraw, R. L., F. W. Shockley, J. F. Thompson, and C. A. Roberts. (n.d.).
> Evaluation of native legume species for forage yield, quality and seed
> production. Native Plants:152–160.
>
> Morandin, L. A., M. L. Winston, V. A. Abbott, and M. T. Franklin. 2007.
> Can pastureland increase wild bee abundance in agriculturally intense
> areas? Basic and Applied Ecology 8:117–124.

> [...]

IVM Partners, Inc.
P.O. Box 9886
Newark, DE 19714-4986
www.ivmpartners.org
cell: 302-299-5919

IVM Partners is a 501-C-3 non-profit corporation operated exclusively for
charitable, scientific, literary, and educational purposes to develop,
educate professionals and the public with respect to, and apply best
vegetation management and conservation practices and related activities.