[Pollinator] Honeybee population isn't ‘crashing’ and seed pesticides are not driving health problems—and here’s why

Gene Brandi gbrandi at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 21 08:59:21 PDT 2018

Hello Carrie:

You are absolutely correct that this article is misleading to say the
least.   While it is true that the nation's managed honey bee colony
numbers appear to be holding steady, this article is quoting National Ag
Statistic Service peak season colony numbers and minimizes the extent of
the losses that occur throughout the year and especially during the
winter.  Winter colony losses have averaged nearly 30% over the past 12
years and annual losses have often exceeded 40%.  I know many beekeepers
who suffered losses in excess of 50% this past winter so things are
definitely not OK with the nation's bees.  It is only due to the hard
work and dedication of beekeepers, who rebuild and restock their dead
and dying bee colonies every year, that peak season colony numbers have
been able to rebound.

The bee breeding industry has a difficult time keeping up with the
demand for queen bees, especially in the spring when beekeepers try to
restock the colonies that died over the winter.  My son and I manage
approximately 2,000 colonies during peak season and we purchase between
1,400 and 1,600 queens annually to rebuild our operation to that level
each year.  During the past 12 years we have lost between 13 and 45% of
our colonies over the winter, and of course many more during the
season.  While beekeeping has never been easy, it is certainly much more
difficult to keep bees alive and healthy today than it was when I began
keeping bees in the 1970's, and the article does not address this in a
substantive manner.

While Colony Collapse Disorder was popularized by the media in 2006, the
first year our industry suffered a major collapse and there were not
enough colonies to pollinate the almonds here in California was 2004.
One major indicator of the problems that still exist in our industry is
that honey production in the USA since the early 2000's has been
dramatically lower than the historical average prior to that time.
During the 1970's, 80's, and 90's domestic honey production regularly
exceeded 200 million pounds annually, often 230 million pounds or more.
Since 2001, US honey production has fluctuated between approximately 140
million pounds and 170 million pounds with 2017 production reported at
148 million pounds.  Changes in the landscape which have reduced
available forage account for some of the decrease, but the reduced
health and strength of our colonies is a larger factor in my opinion.
When colonies are "split" in order to restock dead hives, they are
weakened and are often not strong enough to produce a honey crop until
they rebuild their populations, in many cases after the honey flow is over.

Pesticide exposure, varroa mites, poor nutrition (from lack of adequate
uncontaminated floral resources), and certain diseases continue to
plague our bees.  To place pesticides as number eleven in the top ten
list of what's killing honey bees is a statement that is not based on
reality.  From my own experience it is not only neonics and other toxic
pesticides but a variety of other products, including fungicides, Insect
Growth Regulators, and even certain adjuvants that are impacting the
health of our bees and their colonies.  Many of these same products are
very likely impacting the health of non apis pollinators as well.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that you can drive a truck through some
of the erroneous assertions in the article!

Gene Brandi

Gene Brandi, Past President
American Beekeeping Federation
Los Banos, CA <tel:209-826-2881><tel:209-826-1881><tel:209-769-0501>