[Pollinator] June 26 C-FARE Economics Webinar - Pollinator Issues

Tom Van Arsdall tva at pollinator.org
Thu Jun 14 08:48:14 PDT 2018

<http://files.constantcontact.com/795cec80401/f37bfd3f-b9a6-4be3-89b1-e922f1
162b9b.png>

Webinar: Pollinator Economics in the United States - Demands, Costs, and
Logistics

Tuesday, June 26th from 2:00 PM - 2:30 PM ET

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ATYWT3RvBkg-wJe1uEmthPam9Q8hh9j42LtXX_2xgyC1
C08Cr93my7xyfxMa2uCp43wY-yd5Pf3WrpxlvkrfAMVMmxWChxk0ocFYdJdK0BeLibZtRbCkejw5
Jp80JXpqWALWQ7EkA_H02hV1JzGqFb30gubju4aA4Tk5szLSbVOunlwvM_u0gNmApeNGzH32j8Ib
xPUtVCc=&c=35Str8lRw5YJwRewxLUiQ1xgSKDmUtaNvDLlVp1_qyZxIW3ZQugT3g==&ch=JXklW
WF4RI-36ajjyFsXkH_cVQYdxNvjIg-Jw_xfUARP6n1Aq8VoZw==> Register here

Moderator:
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ATYWT3RvBkg-wJe1uEmthPam9Q8hh9j42LtXX_2xgyC1
C08Cr93my7xyfxMa2uCp1PjKA-obwh3_iAJ6v0OpoW1h_7PuTPNRiZpxdqjr6RlEpEIJVWPN9bUl
9fOf8xrzzZ7-5fnnHfdGzNTYFmCkow==&c=35Str8lRw5YJwRewxLUiQ1xgSKDmUtaNvDLlVp1_q
yZxIW3ZQugT3g==&ch=JXklWWF4RI-36ajjyFsXkH_cVQYdxNvjIg-Jw_xfUARP6n1Aq8VoZw==>
Val Dolcini, President & CEO, The Pollinator Partnership

Presenters:
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ATYWT3RvBkg-wJe1uEmthPam9Q8hh9j42LtXX_2xgyC1
C08Cr93my7xyfxMa2uCp-I6U7zm7SrtaI_VolG7rGpXkGjnXMwTT2OnkjvhZ49SF_P-UONTULcpW
PkM2lhmgBrUhLV5-plZMDzGjo6Y5zuMHD3D_AjSHF40bHdioaar2eqL1gjq1rns8Buo6NG9I84p6
e85TSxrYn5IwnUb0Pg==&c=35Str8lRw5YJwRewxLUiQ1xgSKDmUtaNvDLlVp1_qyZxIW3ZQugT3
g==&ch=JXklWWF4RI-36ajjyFsXkH_cVQYdxNvjIg-Jw_xfUARP6n1Aq8VoZw==> Peyton
Ferrier, USDA Economic Research Service and
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ATYWT3RvBkg-wJe1uEmthPam9Q8hh9j42LtXX_2xgyC1
C08Cr93my7xyfxMa2uCp-od2J2voVCBKBmFYgT4X8vjJ6xFSu8YBwlm73HsDnM4RmzeXKKy87yRv
gF4pqgEUsya7rJRbpmMClHyVc9NdeLpT8TaMK9nf&c=35Str8lRw5YJwRewxLUiQ1xgSKDmUtaNv
DLlVp1_qyZxIW3ZQugT3g==&ch=JXklWWF4RI-36ajjyFsXkH_cVQYdxNvjIg-Jw_xfUARP6n1Aq
8VoZw==> Brittney Goodrich, Auburn University

Since 2006, winter losses of managed honey bee colonies in the United States
have averaged 29 percent, approximately double the 15 percent historical
rate. These elevated losses have raised concerns that agricultural and food
supply chains will suffer disruptions as pollination services become
costlier and less available. Among pollinated crops, almonds and plums have
had the largest increases in pollination service fees, rising about 2.5 and
2.4 times, respectively, in real (inflation-adjusted) terms since the early
1990s, with the largest portion of the increase occurring between 2004 and
2006.

California almond production required over 75 percent of honey producing
colonies in the United States in 2016 for its pollination needs. The
magnitude of demand relative to the national supply of managed honey bee
colonies has created a complex interaction between honey bee colony health
and almond production. During this webinar, speakers will discuss the
demand, costs and logistical issues associated with pollination of crops in
the United States.

R. Thomas (Tom) Van Arsdall

Director of Public Affairs

(703) 509-4746