[Pollinator] [beemonitoring] Details of Virginia Linden Tree Bee Kill and insights on Bee Sampling

Stoner, Kimberly Kimberly.Stoner at ct.gov
Wed Jun 27 11:13:32 PDT 2018

HI Sam and all,
I found out a couple of years ago from my colleague Rich Cowles that, after the incidents in Oregon, the pesticide companies removed linden trees from the label of the neonicotinoids that are most highly toxic to bees and used on ornamentals.

For example, this label for Safari (dinotefuran) explicitly says:
“Do not apply this product, by any application meth- od, to linden, basswood or other Tilia species”

Link to label: https://www.valent.com/Data/Labels/2015-SAF-0001-form-1510-G.pdf

The label is the law, so if this was applied to linden trees in March of this year, it would be an illegal application.

Kim