[Pollinator] Congresswoman Shea-Porter Introduces Legislation to Address Growing Threat from Wildlife Diseases

Matthew Shepherd matthew.shepherd at xerces.org
Thu Oct 4 07:58:00 PDT 2018

A press release distributed yesterday by Congresswoman Shea-Porter’s office.

********************

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

October 3, 2018

*Contact:*

Jarrett Freedman, 202-503-6746

*Shea-Porter Introduces Legislation to Address Growing Threat from Wildlife
Diseases*

*Wildlife Disease Emergency Act Draws Praise from Wildlife and
Environmental Groups*

*WASHINGTON, DC – *Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter (NH-01) today announced
that she has introduced H.R. 7005, the Wildlife Disease Emergency Act. This
legislation would address the growing threat that wildlife diseases pose to
our health and economy. The bill has been endorsed by the American Bird
Conservancy, National Audubon Society, Natural Resources Defense Council,
and Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation. In New Hampshire only one
Little Brown Bat was found this past winter compared to the more than 3,000
that would regularly hibernate before the population was decimated by white
nose syndrome. The legislation is cosponsored by Congressman Matt
Cartwright, Congressman Peter DeFazio, Congressman Richard Nolan, and
Congressman Bennie Thompson.

“Wildlife diseases are a threat to our nation’s economy, food security, and
environmental health,” *said Shea-Porter.* “The Interior Department has to
have the ability to monitor wildlife diseases and coordinate an effective
response to these emergencies as they arise. This bill would help address
the threats posed by wildlife diseases by allowing the Interior Department
to declare and rapidly coordinate responses to wildlife disease emergencies
such as white-nose syndrome, which has devastated bat populations in places
around the country. My legislation would create a federal Wildlife Disease
Committee to help federal agencies and state governments respond to these
diseases, and it establishes a grant program to fund states’ efforts to
counter these diseases.”

Wildlife diseases are a significant threat to our nation. North American
bat populations are currently suffering from white-nose syndrome (WNS), an
emergent disease that is quickly spreading across the United States and
Canada. Characterized by a white fungus that grows on the skin of
hibernating bats, WNS has killed more than 5.7 million bats throughout 25
states.

Diseases like white-nose syndrome impact our nation’s economy.
Approximately 75% of our crops depend on pollinators like bats and bees.
Bees alone contribute to nearly $19 billion worth of crops, while the U.S.
Geological Survey estimates that bats provide at least $3.7 billion in pest
control services to farmers each year. The loss of just these two species
from diseases would be devastating to our nation’s agriculture, endangering
our economic and food security.

“Early detection and rapid response are important components of effective
disease monitoring and control,” *said Steve Holmer, Vice President of
Policy at the American Bird Conservancy.* “The ability to quickly respond
to new threats is a cost-effective approach to conserving species and
protecting valuable wildlife resources.”

The WDEA addresses the threats posed by wildlife diseases by allowing the
US Department of the Interior to declare and coordinate responses to
wildlife disease emergencies. It also provides for the creation of a
Wildlife Disease Committee to assist in preparing federal agencies, state
governments, and tribal entities to respond to these diseases. Finally, it
gives the Secretary the tools to fund these important emergency response
activities by authorizing a grant program to support state and tribal
actions and establishing a Wildlife Disease Emergency Fund within the U.S.
Treasury.

Alex Cronheim

Legislative Correspondent

Office of Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter

1530 Longworth House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

p. 202-225-5456

http://www.sheaporter.house.gov