[Pollinator] Fwd: Faculty position in Systematic Entomology, University of Guelph

Kathleen Law kl at pollinator.org
Tue Apr 30 06:57:40 PDT 2019

Kathleen Law
Outreach Program Manager
Pollinator Partnership

1139 College St.
Toronto, ON  M6H 1B5
c: 416-838-6373

Head Office
423 Washington Street, 5th Floor
San Francisco CA 94111
t: 415-362-1137
w: pollinator.org

<https://www.facebook.com/ThePollinatorPartnership>
<https://twitter.com/Pollinators>
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PollinatorOrg>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/PollinatorPartners>
<http://pollinator.org/canada.htm>
<http://pollinator.org/million-pollinator-garden-challenge.htm>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Nigel Raine <nraine at uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 5:44 PM
Subject: Faculty position in Systematic Entomology, University of Guelph

Dear Entomology friends,

I am very pleased to announce that we are recruiting an Assistant Professor
in Systematic Entomology in my department (School of Environmental
Sciences) at the University of Guelph (Canada), and I hoped that I might
count on you to spread the word to anyone you might know who might be
interested in this exciting new position, and encourage them to get in
touch if they have queries about this opportunity.

I have copied the job description below, and full details can be found
here: http://www.uoguelph.ca/facultyjobs/postings/ad19-28.shtml

The deadline for applications is 26th June.

*Position Description: *

The School of Environmental Sciences (SES) at the University of Guelph
invites applications for a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor
level.

The University is seeking qualified applicants in the field of entomology
with a research focus in insect diversity, taxonomy and phylogeny in the
contexts of agricultural applications, climate change, conservation,
biodiversity, and environmental stressors. The ideal candidate will be
familiar with and able to conduct research that integrates both
morphological and molecular approaches. The successful candidate will be
expected to build a robust research program and collaborate on a national
and international scale. They will interact with the Curator of the
University of Guelph Insect Collection and both utilize and build the
potential in the Collection to address broad societal and systematic
questions. Applicants must have a PhD in entomology with a publication
record demonstrating expertise in insect systematics. Candidates will
demonstrate significant potential for research excellence and will be
expected to build a strong publication record in internationally
recognized, peer-reviewed journals.

The position will require the development of a strong federally- and
provincially-funded research program involving the mentoring of graduate
and undergraduate students. It will involve teaching courses at the
undergraduate and graduate levels, related to entomology. The successful
candidate will demonstrate a clear potential for effective teaching, with
classroom experience considered an asset. Strong communication skills are
essential. Collaboration in research and graduate training, both within the
School and University, and with federal and provincial ministries, is
encouraged. Faculty in SES are expected to provide service to the
University, scientific community, and to society at large.

The School of Environmental Sciences is a multi-disciplinary academic unit
with researchers in a range of fields including: soil science, geology,
agricultural meteorology, forest and ecosystem science, environmental
microbiology, environmental toxicology, entomology and plant pathology.
Researchers in the School have links across campus including Geography,
Engineering, Integrative Biology, the Biodiversity Institute of Ontario,
the Centre for Applied Groundwater Research, Animal Biosciences, Ridgetown
Campus and Plant Agriculture, as well as with producer organizations and
members of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs,
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, Ontario Ministry of the
Environment and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. The School sits within
the Ontario Agriculture College and is located on the main campus in the
city of Guelph. More information can be found on the websites for the
School of Environmental Sciences, the Ontario Agricultural College and the
University of Guelph.

The University of Guelph is the second-largest employer in Guelph, a city
of approximately 130,000 people, located about an hour drive west of
Toronto, Ontario. University of Guelph is a top-ranked comprehensive
university in Canada with an enrolment of about 30,000 undergraduate and
graduate students across over 40 academic units. The University is known
for its commitment to student learning, innovative research, and
collaboration with world-class partners. It is a unique place, with
transformative research and teaching and a distinctive campus culture.
People who learn and work here are shaped and inspired by a shared purpose:
To Improve Life. Reflecting that shared purpose in every experience
connected to our university positions us to create positive change, here
and around the world. Our University community shares a profound sense of
social responsibility, a drive for international development, and an
obligation to address global issues.

Thanks for your help in putting the word out about this position.

Best wishes,

Nigel

Professor Nigel Raine,

Rebanks Family Chair in Pollinator Conservation,

School of Environmental Sciences,

University of Guelph,

Guelph, Ontario,

Canada N1G 2W1