[Pollinator] new study about effects of pesticides on pollinators

David Inouye dwinouye at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 11:10:12 PDT 2019

DiBartolomeis, M., et al. (2019). "An assessment of acute insecticide
toxicity loading (AITL) of chemical pesticides used on agricultural land
in the United States." PLoS ONE 14(8): e0220029.
     We present a method for calculating the Acute Insecticide Toxicity
assessment of the changes in AITL from 1992 through 2014. The AITL
method accounts for the total mass of insecticides used in the US, acute
toxicity to insects using honey bee contact and oral LD50 as reference
values for arthropod toxicity, and the environmental persistence of the
pesticides. This screening analysis shows that the types of synthetic
insecticides applied to agricultural lands have fundamentally shifted
over the last two decades from predominantly organophosphorus and
N-methyl carbamate pesticides to a mix dominated by neonicotinoids and
pyrethroids. The neonicotinoids are generally applied to US agricultural
land at lower application rates per acre; however, they are considerably
more toxic to insects and generally persist longer in the environment.
We found a 48- and 4-fold increase in AITL from 1992 to 2014 for oral
and contact toxicity, respectively. Neonicotinoids are primarily
responsible for this increase, representing between 61 to nearly 99
percent of the total toxicity loading in 2014. The crops most
responsible for the increase in AITL are corn and soybeans, with
particularly large increases in relative soybean contributions to AITL
between 2010 and 2014. Oral exposures are of potentially greater concern
because of the relatively higher toxicity (low LD50s) and greater
likelihood of exposure from residues in pollen, nectar, guttation water,
and other environmental media. Using AITL to assess oral toxicity by
class of pesticide, the neonicotinoids accounted for nearly 92 percent
of total AITL from 1992 to 2014. Chlorpyrifos, the fifth most widely
used insecticide during this time contributed just 1.4 percent of total
AITL based on oral LD50s. Although we use some simplifying assumptions,
our screening analysis demonstrates an increase in pesticide toxicity
of honey bees and other pollinators and may contribute to declines in
beneficial insect populations as well as insectivorous birds and other
insect consumers.

And a National Geographic story about the article:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/08/insect-apocalypse-under-way-toxic-pesticides-agriculture/

--
Dr. David W. Inouye
Professor Emeritus