[Pollinator] My 100th peer-reviewed paper

Peter Bernhardt peter.bernhardt at slu.edu
Tue Dec 17 07:43:07 PST 2019

I made an odd discovery almost a year ago.  While bringing my curriculum vitae up to date, to include in the Annual report for the 2018 academic year, I found that my next scientific paper  would be my 100th peer-reviewed paper.  This is not to be confused with books, book chapters, official reports or popular articles.  It's sort of a milestone and I thought it should be shared with friends and family as well as colleagues and administrators.

It is also odd that the attached is my 100th paper.  Read the Materials and Methods section and you will learn the fieldwork was performed a decade ago.  Peter Weston and I were hoping we could store it and then finish it at a later date. A set of important specimens were sent to me a decade ago but were sent sea mail.  By the time they arrived, the flowers had dried up and could not be used for microscopy.  Instead, Dr. Weston convinced me we should write it up and submit it to a Singapore journal preparing a special issue to honor the work of the famous botanist, David Mabberley.  We wrote it, submitted it, revised it and it was accepted but... The editors decided the issue was over-packed and we were bumped to a following issue.  That's not a nice or professional gesture as Dr. Weston was originally invited to submit by one of the editors who feared he could not fill the issue.

Well, people who study bees, the macadamia nut family (Proteaceae) and pollination in Australia may get some use out of this if it's well distributed.  For those of you who don't work in those areas you might like the photos of Isopogon and Symphionema in bloom.  Bet you've never seen anything like that before (especially with native, Aussie bees).

Ironically, my 100th paper should have been a coauthored study on the pollination of a spring wildflower here in Missouri.  It was submitted to the Torrey Botanical Journal and that was the journal in which I published my first reviewed paper back in 1975.  Sounds very fitting circle-of-life stuff, right?  Well, we ran into "problems" with the people who reviewed the Missouri paper.  They accepted it with revision but one wasn't happy with our revision and that caused another delay as we rewrote a sentence or two.

It would be nice to have a little party in honor of the milestone but it's so close to Christmas that I think people are exhausted by celebrations or have left for happier and warmer regions.  I am considering something in January as my 101'st paper (the one in Torrey) should be out by then.

Peter