[Pollinator] Petrol exhaust pollution impairs honey bee learning and memory

David Inouye dwinouye at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 04:57:58 PST 2019

Leonard, R. J., et al. (2019). "Petrol exhaust pollution impairs honey
bee learning and memory." Oikos 128(2): 264-273.
     Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) serve as important infochemicals,
mediating several ecological interactions including herbivory and
pollination. Atmospheric pollutants including traffic-related air
pollution may impair the detection of VOCs used by insects in
insect–plant interactions. We investigated the indirect effect of petrol
exhaust pollution on olfactory learning and memory (short and long term)
in honey bees. Using appetitive olfactory conditioning, we trained bees
to learn one of four floral VOC profiles; linalool, dipentene, myrcene
and geranium. VOCs were unpolluted or polluted with exhaust collected
from a petrol generator. Exhaust emissions included concentrations of CO
(246.07 + 17 ppm), NO (20.50 + 6.90 ppb) and NO2 (20.93 + 0.05 ppb)
consistent with those typically encountered in urban areas and near
roads. Once bees had learnt the training VOC, we tested whether they
could recognise that VOC 1 h, 24 h and 48 h post-training. Bees took
significantly longer to learn polluted VOCs and forgot them faster than
unpolluted ones. We also tested the ‘masking’ potential of pollution on
floral VOCs. Using gas chromatography mass spectroscopy we noted
differences in the chemical profile of polluted versus unpolluted VOCs
and tested whether bees could recognise polluted VOCs if trained using
unpolluted ones. For several VOCs tested, bees could distinguish between
polluted and unpolluted VOCs. Ultimately, our results show that air
pollution changes the recognition and retention of floral VOCs by bees
which may consequently impact foraging efficiency.

--
Dr. David W. Inouye
Professor Emeritus
inouye at umd.edu