[Pollinator] Pollinator Habitats Are Declining Worldwide, But Business Can Help

Matthew Shepherd matthew.shepherd at xerces.org
Mon Jun 17 17:06:03 PDT 2019

FROM: Triple Pundit

https://www.triplepundit.com/story/2019/pollinator-habitats-are-declining-worldwide-business-can-help/83921/

6/17/19

*Pollinator Habitats Are Declining Worldwide, But Business Can Help*

Bees are necessary to pollinate plants, including crops we use for food,
but bee populations are in decline worldwide
<https://e360.yale.edu/features/declining_bee_populations_pose_a_threat_to_global_agriculture>.
For well over a decade, colony collapse disorder (CCD) has shaken the
agricultural sector and challenged scientists. This mysterious phenomenon
occurs when the majority of adult worker bees in a colony disappear,
leaving the queen behind.

Though reports of CCD have declined in recent years
<https://www.epa.gov/pollinator-protection/colony-collapse-disorder>, it’s
far from the only threat facing bees. Exposure to pesticides, as well as
parasites, pests and pathogens, continue to threaten the health of bee
populations, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
<https://www.ars.usda.gov/oc/br/ccd/index/>. Bees and other insects are
also increasingly vulnerable to habitat loss and weather fluctuations
associated with climate change.

Co-director of the pollinator program for the Xerces Society
<https://xerces.org/>, Eric Lee-Mader is the go-to guy for bees. Based in
Portland, Oregon, the Xerces Society is among several groups spearheading
the effort to protect pollinator habitats and stabilize bee populations
worldwide.

Their hard work is paying off: “We have more research [and] more concrete
science than we've had before,” Mader told 3p. “For a long time, pollinator
declines were partially documented, partially speculative. And we're now
entering the timeframe where they're more documented and less speculative.”

That’s the good news. With more research and better science, the picture
comes into stark focus. “Consistently across the board, what we see is that
the declines are real,” Mader told us. “In some cases, the declines are
really catastrophic.”

TriplePundit last spoke with Mader back in 2017
<https://www.triplepundit.com/story/2019/pollinator-habitats-are-declining-worldwide-business-can-help/83921/www.triplepundit.com/story/2017/bees-almonds-and-ice-cream-haagen-dazs-makes-connection/19076>.
We recently caught up with him for an update on the science, conservation,
and management of pollinators and their habitats. “The situation is not
improving, and arguably it's deeper and more entrenched and getting worse
than we have previously thought,” he explained. “I think we arrive at kind
of a holistic picture of what's going on with pollinators by looking at
this whole spectrum of different studies that are out there now being
published.”

Among the recent research, a paper published in the journal Biological
Conservation
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320718313636>earlier
this year found that more than 40 percent of insect species globally are
threatened with extinction within “the next few decades.” Similarly, the
landmark “insect Armageddon
<https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/as-insect-populations-decline-scientists-are-trying-to-understand-why/>”
study published in 2017 warned of a 75 percent loss of insect biomass since
the 1980s.

Among many of the drivers pushing pollinators to the brink, like climate
change and the pervasive use of chemical pesticides, is habitat loss from
intensive agricultural land conversion.

“Conservatively speaking, just in agricultural lands, there’s probably been
a 20 million-acre loss of habitat over the past decade,” Mader says.
Countering that trend is approximately 700,000 acres of land restoration
for pollinator habitat, according to best estimates.

There is no candy-coating the situation. Clearly, we humans must do more to
address the precipitous decline of bees and other at-risk insects.

*What business can do to save the bees *

An important part of Mader’s work is collaborating with businesses and
their agricultural supply chains. The Xerces Society works with food and
agriculture companies like General Mills in a multi-pronged approach aimed
at consumer awareness, habitat conservation and on-the-ground guidance for
improving agricultural practices.

When we spoke with Mader, he had just returned from a trip to California on
behalf of General Mills. The Xerces Society’s collaboration with the
company began about seven years ago with some pilot projects to help
restore pollinator habitat on tomato and almond fields in California’s
Central Valley.

Based on these initial projects, Xerces developed “very high-quality,
compelling case studies and demonstration of how we can incorporate habitat
at scale back into [a company’s] supplier farms,” Mader told us. Farmers
working with Xerces added miles of hedgerows, native perennial wildflower
strips and cover crops, where before the Valley's vast almond orchards were
“like moonscapes below the trees,” Mader said.

“We really flipped that model around and worked with [farmers] to formulate
and develop feed mixes that can provide flowers and habitat in the orchard
itself and can be mowed down before the harvest happens,” he told us. “It's
completely compatible with their management system.”

These new plantings provide vital habitat for pollinators and other
insects, allowing both agricultural land and natural ecosystems to co-exist
together. The success of these early models motivated General Mills to come
back to Xerces to scale up these methods to a “significantly larger portion
of their supply chain,” Mader explained.

*The landscape is changing *

Against the backdrop of the somber story of pollinators, the landscape is
changing—literally. “Collectively, we're putting in miles of hedgerows
every year; we're putting in acres and acres and acres of flowering
habitats and flowering cover crops on farms,” Mader said. “Just through
that supply chain work ... we are easily impacting tens of thousands of
acres of farmland and creating conditions that are significantly more
amenable to pollinators.”

Efforts like these make an impact, but Mader stresses that the food and
agricultural sector needs more participants like General Mills that are
truly committed to take the problem seriously.

This is the real message here: Key partnerships between science, research
and business have proven solutions. What we need now is for the food
industry to step up, at scale, and implement these solutions.

Otherwise, the cupboard is bare, as demonstrated by this pop-up
installation in Toronto. In 2017, General Mills' Honey Nut Cheerio's team
in Canada opened a temporary “Grocery Store of the Future
<https://blog.generalmills.com/2017/03/1-week-1-5-billion-seeds/>,” which
shows what our food supply would look like with and without bees.

Here's a typical grocery store:

[image: a future grocery store if we protect bees]

And here's what those same shelves would look like if we fail to protect
bee populations:

[image: grocery store if we fail to protect pollinator habitats]

As is often said, a picture is worth a thousand words.

*Image credits: Eric Ward <https://unsplash.com/photos/qFAEHxevxVE>, Aaron
Burden <https://unsplash.com/photos/6csuZQ9oZcI> and General Mills*

----------

Matthew Shepherd

Director of Communications & Outreach

[image: Email-Outlook_Xerces-logo-CMYK]

Protecting the Life That Sustains Us

Connect with us @xercessociety on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/xercessociety/>, Twitter
<https://twitter.com/xercessociety>, and Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/xercessociety/?hl=en>.

Visit www.xerces.org to read our blog <http://www.xerces.org/blog/>, sign
up for our e-newsletter
<https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001HTk7N6nZumLPinBr8VACbNdTXCe732bGu6KpqC13JAKPti_HBe5xyr7t0p4mDfKe2dOsd-TB1qvv772s6GQfVa_SbKKfwBiwl4blH4KvCjq4dpmA2M9UNZ2axlQwu_1Gvjrl2Rb53WUZwsddwCzyorgxedLAaMy3>,
and find out how you can protect invertebrates.

Watch us on YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiPLPJuySOgn6CbjkOxqLQ>.

Support our work: Donate <https://xerces.org/donate/>!

628 NE Broadway, Suite 200,   Portland, OR 97232,   USA

Office: (503) 232-6639 x110

Cell: (503) 807-1577

matthew.shepherd at xerces.org