[Pollinator] FW: [MJV-Partners] Fwd: Timeline for Monarch ESA Petition Finding Extended

Kelly Rourke kr at pollinator.org
Fri May 24 12:02:06 PDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: *monarchconservation, FW3* <fw3_monarchconservation at fws.gov>
Date: Fri, May 24, 2019 at 1:34 PM
Subject: Timeline for Monarch ESA Petition Finding Extended

Dear Interested Party:

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announces an extension of the timeline
to determine whether the monarch butterfly warrants Endangered Species Act
protection. With agreement of the plaintiffs, the Service will continue
efforts to collect data and analyze the monarch’s status and threats until
December 15, 2020.

In 2014, we were petitioned to protect the monarch butterfly under the
Endangered Species Act. Based on information in the petition, we determined
that federal protection of the monarch may be warranted; we published a
90-day substantial finding in the Federal Register on December 31, 2014. We
also announced that we would conduct a thorough assessment to determine if
the monarch butterfly needs Endangered Species Act protection. In 2016, we
agreed to make this determination by June 30, 2019.

>From 2014 through 2018, we devoted extensive staff time and resources to
complete the monarch status assessment, which will form the scientific
foundation for our policy decision. The SSA provides the best available
scientific information to inform ESA decisions. The SSA identifies the
monarch’s needs (at an individual, population and species level), compiles
information on the current status, threats and conservation efforts, and
projects future status of the species based on analysis of this
information.

The extension until December 15, 2020, provides the Service with additional
opportunity to evaluate the monarch’s status to determine whether listing
the species is warranted. During this time, we will analyze data from the
2018-2019 overwintering survey, and the next census of overwintering
monarchs for 2019-2020 . The extension enhances the Service’s ability to
produce a scientifically sound determination on the monarch, a species with
a global range and complex life history.

More information is available at www.fws.gov/savethemonarch

--

Monarch Conservation Database Team

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

FW3_monarchconservation at fws.gov

https://www.fws.gov/savethemonarch/mcd.html

--

Wendy Caldwell
Director

Ph: (o) 651-222-7631 Ext. 701 (c) 320-226-6507

Like us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/monarchjointventure> or follow
us on Twitter @MonarchsJV

To support US monarch conservation efforts with a financial contribution,
visit: http://monarchjointventure.org/get-involved/donate/

Share your work on our Monarch Conservation Efforts Map
<https://monarchjointventure.org/our-work/monarch-conservation-efforts-map/>
!

*The Monarch Joint Venture is a national partnership of federal and state
agencies, non-governmental organizations, businesses and academic programs
working together to conserve the monarch butterfly migration. The content
in this email does not necessarily reflect the positions of all Monarch
Joint Venture partners.*