[Pollinator] Overwintering Queen Bumble Bee Location Descriptions Needed

Droege, Sam sdroege at usgs.gov
Fri Oct 18 18:44:32 PDT 2019

All

A group of us are thinking of mounting an effort this fall to locate
overwintering Queen Bumblebees.

As part of that effort we are seeking information from you.

If you have ever stumbled across a hibernating bumblebee of any kind we
would like to know about the circumstances in a simple descriptive manner.
The primary questions are below...any additional observations you want to
add would be great.

1.  Location
2.  Species
3.  How far down in the soil was the queen
4.  What was the soil like (e.g., dense, loose, sandy, clay, loam, silt,
forest duff etc)
5.  What was the immediate vegetation
6.  Did you blunder into the queen or did you watch it excavating
7.  Was there a tree shrub overstory?
8.  Was it under any sort of root, stone, brick or something other than
just soil?

Many thanks!

You can reply directly to myself and John Mola and we will summarize the
patterns in a week or so.

Thanks

sam

"Can you do addition?" the White Queen asked.
"What's one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one
and one?"
"I don't know," said Alice. "I lost count."

      - Lewis Carroll - Through the Looking Glass.

The queen bee is a busy soul
She has no time for birth control
That is why in times like these
There are so many sons of bees
    -  anonymous

--
*How Can    you Save the Bees if You Don't Even Know Our Names?*
*- Bee*