[Pollinator] Crowdfunded project to save green carpenter bee from extinction after Australia bushfires

Joseph Clerici joe at seacology.org
Mon Apr 27 14:42:46 PDT 2020

Dear Pollinator listserv members,

I’m writing on behalf of Seacology, a California-based NGO that works to
protect threatened habitats and species on islands around the world. To
mark Earth Day last week, we launched a new project and crowdfunding
campaign that may be of interest to you and the wider bee-conservation
community.

As you are probably aware, the Australian bushfires that began late last
year devastated the habitats of countless endemic species. Our project
focuses on the green carpenter bee, at especially high risk of extinction
due to the loss of the trees it nests in. Working with the Wheen Bee
Foundation, an Australian charity, our project will fund hundreds of
artificial nesting stalks on Kangaroo Island–home to one of the species’
two remaining populations. This proven technique represents a much-needed
lifeline for the green carpenter bees, allowing them to breed while their
natural habitat recovers.

We hope you will consider supporting this urgently needed project, and
helping us raise awareness of it. We understand that these are difficult
times for many people amid the COVID-19 outbreak, but with the modest
budget we aim to raise, we will be able to ensure a habitat for the bees
for the next three years, giving them a fighting chance at long-term
survival. We've had a great first week in the campaign but we still have a
way to go. Every donation and every share on social media helps us improve
the odds for this fascinating species.

You can learn more about our project and watch a short video about the
campaign at www.seacology.org/bees (this link redirects to the GoFundMe
Charity page for the campaign). You can also read more on our website at
https://www.seacology.org/project/kangaroo-island/.

Thank you so much for reading. Wishing you and yours the best during these
uncertain times.

--

*Joseph Clerici*

Communications Associate
joe at seacology.org | 510.559.3505 ext. 306

1623 Solano Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94707 USA

Seacology.org | Facebook.com/Seacology | Twitter.com/Seacology