[Pollinator] Fwd: Item for Pollinator

Laurie Adams lda at pollinator.org
Tue Aug 4 12:07:43 PDT 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kathy Keatley Garvey <kathykeatleygarvey at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:04 AM
Subject: Item for Pollinator
To: Laurie Adams <LDA at pollinator.org>

Honey Bees Are Both Artists and Engineers, Says Robert E. Page Jr. in His
New Book

DAVIS, Calif.—Honey bees are both artists and engineers, says eminent honey
bee geneticist and biologist Robert E. Page Jr.

As environmental artists, bees are "responsible for the brilliantly colored
flowers in our landscapes," and as environmental engineers, they engineer
“the niches of multitudes of plants, animals and microbes.”

Page, with UC Davis roots and Arizona State University wings, has just
authored a 256-page book, “The Art of the Bee: Shaping the Environment from
Landscapes to Societies
<https://www.amazon.com/Art-Bee-Environment-Landscapes-Societies/dp/0197504140>”
(Oxford University Press), to be published Aug. 6.

“It's a long time in the making,” said Page, who received his doctorate in
entomology at UC Davis and served as a professor and chair of the
Department of Entomology (now Entomology and Nematology) before heading to
Arizona State University (ASU), where he advanced to school director,
college dean and university provost.

“Twenty-five years ago, my friend and mentor Harry Laidlaw
<https://senate.universityofcalifornia.edu/_files/inmemoriam/html/HarryHydeLaidlawJr..htm>
(for
whom the UC Davis bee facility is named) wanted to write a honey bee
biology textbook,” Page recalled. When they finished the outline, “it
looked very much like the excellent book by Mark Winston *The Biology of
the Honey Bee*, published in 1987 by Harvard University Press. I decided we
didn't need another one, and we still don't.”

The book differs in that it's a collection of “sparkling essays” that “read
like mystery stories,” said Rudiger Wehner, professor and director emeritus
of the Institute of Zoology, University of Zürich. “With these lucidly
written stories, Page takes us on a delightful journey through the many
biological traits that on the whole constitute the honeybees' social
contract.”

See more at

https://bit.ly/2XrGzVc

--
Kathy Keatley Garvey
UC Davis Department of Entomology and Nematology
kegarvey at ucdavis.edu
Or
kathykeatleygarvey at gmail.com
Website: http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/