[Pollinator] Fwd: Fw: REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS Christi Heintz Memorial Scholarship Award

Kelly Rourke kr at pollinator.org
Mon Aug 24 06:40:58 PDT 2020

*From:* Sharah Yaddaw
*Sent:* Friday, August 21, 2020 10:42 AM
*To:* Grace Kunkel <Grace at projectapism.org>; Danielle Downey <
danielle at projectapism.org>
*Subject:* REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS Christi Heintz Memorial Scholarship
Award

Dear Friends, Professors and Researchers,

Please distribute and post this exciting and unique scholarship
Announcement:

*REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS *

*Christi Heintz Memorial Scholarship Award
<https://www.projectapism.org/project-apis-m-blog/christi-heintz-memorial-scholarship-award>*
*August 15, 2020 *

*Background:*

In 2006, Project Apis m. began working diligently on behalf of beekeepers
and growers by investing in projects to solve honey bee health challenges.
Founders contributed funds to support applied research to answer the
highest priority questions. We strive to be the go-to resource for
science-based answers We are proud of where we are, excited by where we are
going, and we know that none of this would have been possible without the
vision, hard work, and tireless enthusiasm of Project Apis m.’s founding
leader – Christi Heintz. Christi served as PAm’s executive director for ten
years and laid a strong foundation including the tradition of funding
scholarships for future exceptional scientists. We encourage applicants who
may not have met her to read her memorial.
<https://www.projectapism.org/project-apis-m-blog/the-legacy-of-christi-heintz>

Many generous donors have contributed to this award recognizing and
honoring her contributions to the beekeeping industry and the legacy she
left through her leadership and friendship. A scholarship award of $20,000
will be provided to one master’s student doing research aligned with PAm’s
mission, who can also demonstrate their embodiment of Christi’s spirit of
curiosity, collaboration, and fearlessness.

Project Apis m. has become the largest non-governmental, nonprofit honey
bee research organization in the USA. Established by beekeepers and almond
growers in 2006, PAm has infused over $8.5 million into 119 practical bee
research projects to provide growers with healthier bees resulting in
better pollination and increased crop yields, and $2.9 Million in restoring
habitat to provide nutrition to honey bees.

*Priority Areas for Funding:*

The purpose of the Christi Heintz Memorial Scholarship Award is to ensure
the continuity of honey bee health scientists and specialties in the
academic and research world. It also intends to develop innovation and
sustainability for the beekeeping industry and assure its future
contributions to agriculture, where many crops depend upon pollination for
success. The award will recognize and support an outstanding graduate
student who is, or will be, pursuing a master's degree in fields within the
Project Apis m. mission of enhancing honey bee health while improving crop
production.

*Qualifications:*

Candidates must be accepted into an M.S. degree program in the US or
Canada. It is preferable the candidates have working experience with bees,
crops, or pollination. The individual must demonstrate potential for
significant achievements, innovation, and bridging industry needs in honey
bee health science and research.

*Financial Support:*

$20,000 of support in a one-time payment to the university or college will
support the selected candidate’s education and research. Project Apis m.
scholarships do not cover administrative overhead, appropriate costs
covered include student’s stipend, tuition, books, fees, research supplies
and testing, and reasonable travel to present results.

*Applications must be submitted to Project Apis m.’s online portal here
<https://www.grantrequest.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fapplication.aspx%3fSA%3dSNA%26FID%3d35007%26sid%3d6057&SA=SNA&FID=35007&sid=6057>
by midnight (PDT), September 15, 2020. *

Copies of proposals will be distributed to a select Review Committee which
may include representatives of Project Apis m., the beekeeping and almond
industries, and Christi’s family.

*Approval and Funding:*

PAm will notify the successful candidate shortly after approval by the
Review Committee. We anticipate approval by October 2020.

*Expectations:*

PAm assumes projects will be executed as stated in the application,
specifically with reference to the defined objectives, timeline, and
budget. Successful candidates and their university will sign an agreement
with PAm. Two reports per year will be provided to PAm by the candidate
through the completion of their degree.

*Questions:*

Contact *patty at projectapism.org <patty at projectapism.org>* with brief
questions concerning the submission of applications to Project Apis m.

Please Click Here for full application instructions.
<https://www.projectapism.org/uploads/1/0/5/7/105706229/rfp-christiheintzmemorialscholarshipaward-final.pdf>

Thank you,

*Sharah Yaddaw*

*Communications Director*

Office  | 916-287-3035
Mobile | 518-935-7842
<http://www.projectapism.org/>ProjectApism.org <http://www.projectapism.org>

--

Kelly Rourke

Director of Programs and Operations

Pollinator Partnership

475 Sansome St., 17th Floor

San Francisco, CA 94111

e:  kr at pollinator.org

w:  www.pollinator.org
o:  415.362.1137

c:  585.255.0962

[image: cid:image002.jpg at 01D1AB75.BF85B7F0]
<http://www.facebook.com/ThePollinatorPartnership>[image:
cid:image003.jpg at 01D1AB75.BF85B7F0] <http://twitter.com/Pollinators>[image:
instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/pollinatorpartnership/>[image:
cid:image005.jpg at 01D1AB75.BF85B7F0]
<http://www.youtube.com/user/PollinatorPartners>

[image: cid:image006.jpg at 01D1AB75.BF85B7F0]
<http://pollinator.org/index.html> [image: bee_friendly_Farmer_logo_CMYK[1]]
<https://www.pollinator.org/bff>

<https://www.pollinator.org/monarch/mwaa>