[Pollinator] Xerces blog - Pollinator team digest includes habitat kits and milkweed fact sheets

Matthew Shepherd matthew.shepherd at xerces.org
Thu Dec 10 06:52:53 PST 2020

New on the Xerces blog, our monthly update on what our pollinator team has
been up to recently. This digest focuses on work done across the country to
support pollinators, especially monarchs.

Jessa Kay Cruz describes how Xerces supports groups in California
undertaking habitat creation projects. Our “habitat kit” project has been a
tremendous success and over the course of the past two years we have funded
60 different projects in 28 different counties throughout the state—a total
of over 51,000 plants. Once planting of this year’s kits is complete, we
estimate that this project will have created the equivalent of over 15
miles of permanent, protected habitat for monarchs and other pollinators.

Jennifer Hopwood presents a series of fact sheets about milkweeds, part of
a nationwide project to provide information to roadside managers. To help
roadside managers and others recognize native milkweeds in their regions,
we have developed milkweed recognition guides for sixteen regions of the
lower 48 states. These 2-page fact sheets highlight the most common species
on roadsides within each region and include photos of key features as well
as notes about habitat, soil types, and county-level distributions.

Read more on our blog at
https://xerces.org/blog/pollinator-conservation-program-digest-december-2020

Matthew

----------

Matthew Shepherd

Director of Communications & Outreach

*he/him/his*

[image: Email-Outlook_Xerces-logo-CMYK]

Protecting the Life That Sustains Us

Connect with us @xercessociety on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/xercessociety/>, Twitter
<https://twitter.com/xercessociety>, and Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/xercessociety/?hl=en>.

Visit xerces.org to read our blog <https://xerces.org/blog>, sign up for
our e-newsletter
<https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001HTk7N6nZumLPinBr8VACbNdTXCe732bGu6KpqC13JAKPti_HBe5xyr7t0p4mDfKe2dOsd-TB1qvv772s6GQfVa_SbKKfwBiwl4blH4KvCjq4dpmA2M9UNZ2axlQwu_1Gvjrl2Rb53WUZwsddwCzyorgxedLAaMy3>,
and find out how you can protect invertebrates.

Watch us on YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiPLPJuySOgn6CbjkOxqLQ>.

Support our work: Donate <https://xerces.org/donate/>!

628 NE Broadway, Suite 200,   Portland, OR 97232,   USA

Cell: (503) 807-1577

Office: (503) 232-6639 x110

matthew.shepherd at xerces.org