[Pollinator] Fwd: Project Wingspan Special Feature

Kelly Rourke kr at pollinator.org
Wed Jun 10 13:18:49 PDT 2020

Learn about the amazing work that's taken place through Project Wingspan
and MWAEBF!
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/2e79f8c56bba/pollinator-action-team-update-2610202?e=eb843138ac>
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=827fbf81d2&e=eb843138ac>

<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=3770adef49&e=eb843138ac>
PROJECT WINGSPAN SIGN UP
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=0c6451e61d&e=eb843138ac>
Get social with us!
[image: F O L L O W on F A C E B O O K]
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=ee383f99e4&e=eb843138ac>
O L L O W on F A C E B O O K
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=bf279c8977&e=eb843138ac>
[image: F O L L O W on T W I T T E R]
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=5430b7c930&e=eb843138ac>
O L L O W on T W I T T E R
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=1f1d9c3259&e=eb843138ac>
[image: F O L L O W on I N S T A G R A M]
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=d2e37bc3ad&e=eb843138ac>
O L L O W on I N S T A G R A M
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=19bf2d64a2&e=eb843138ac>
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=33ae2283ff&e=eb843138ac>
*Dear Project Wingspan Volunteers and Conservation Partners:*

Summer is here! As Project Wingspan’s partners and volunteers get ramped up
for the 2020 collection season, we’re bringing you another story about a
unique partnership that has helped our habitat enhancement efforts
succeed. In this edition of our Wingspan newsletter series, Lara
Roketenetz, Project Wingspan’s Ohio State Coordinator is going to introduce
you to one of the many exemplary partnerships in Ohio that have been formed
through Monarch Wings Across the Eastern Broadleaf Forest and Project
Wingspan.

Project Wingspan Special Feature
Hello all! I’m Lara Roketenetz and I’m the State Coordinator
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=5b81fbe127&e=eb843138ac>
for Project Wingspan’s efforts in Ohio. I’m also the manager of the
University of Akron field station and an active volunteer and board member
with numerous nonprofits in Northeast Ohio. I’m new to this role and
thrilled to take the lead on this initiative in 2020. I worked with Mike
Retterer, my predecessor to bring you this special feature for Ohio. He’s
the former State Coordinator for Project Wingspan in Ohio as well as a
Coordinating Wildlife Biologist for Pheasants Forever and the current State
Coordinator for the Ohio Pollinator Habitat Initiative (OPHI). While our
days are certainly kept busy, being involved in all of these projects and
partnerships has allowed us to facilitate some incredible collaboration on
behalf of pollinators and the other wildlife that rely on healthy,
biodiverse landscapes. In today’s newsletter, We’re going to introduce you
to OPHI and how this program is working with Project Wingspan to benefit
Ohio’s lands.
Due to the drastic decline in monarch butterfly (*Danaus plexippus*)
populations, the Ohio Pollinator Habitat Initiative and local Soil & Water
Conservation Districts (SWCDs) in partnership with the Ohio Department of
Transportation (ODOT), Ohio EPA, Waste Management, Ohio Department of
Agriculture (ODA), Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction (ODRC)
and Ohio Department of Youth Services (ODYS) have banded together to create
a unique model that has undertaken one of the largest voluntary
collaborative milkweed collections among the fifty states. Through this
effort we have been engaging with communities across the state to collect
common milkweed pods so that the seed can be harvested and redistributed
across the state to bolster the number of required stems needed to reduce
and/or reverse monarch butterfly decline.
Much like Project Wingspan, OPHI is a collaborative, grass roots
partnership that works through donation and volunteer efforts. This
statewide program provides help to site specific restoration projects and
engages in education to all Ohioans about the importance of native Ohio
pollinators and their connection to a healthy sustainable food supply. OPHI
has been working with various partners across the state including the one’s
mentioned above to help glean pods (separating the milkweed seed from the
coma material) and either repackage the seeds for statewide outreach or
prep the seeds for planting (stratifying and drying seeds) and/or then
growing milkweed plugs for distribution of stems for state wide educational
projects or large-scale planting efforts.
The fact that 82 of Ohio’s 88 counties participate in the milkweed seed pod
collection led to a unique, mutually beneficial partnership opportunity
with Pollinator Partnership’s Project Wingspan. OPHI provides seed
collected through the statewide collection to Project Wingspan to be
utilized for projects in Ohio. This allows both OPHI and P2 to reach more
Ohioans and assist on more projects. Through this partnership, OPHI is now
looking to expand its statewide collection to include not only common
milkweed, but other pollen and nectar producing species as well. This
expansion of the OPHI efforts would not be possible without the online
resources that P2 has produced through Project Wingspan. In addition to the
projects that P2 and OPHI will affect, both entities promote the
partnership regularly at outreach events and through social media outlets
allowing for continued exposure for these efforts, resulting in greater
on-the-ground impact than either project could achieve on its own.

If you have any questions or would like to learn more about OPHI, you can
reach Mike at mretterer at pheasantsforever.org.

Interested in finding out more or getting involved with Project Wingspan?
Send me an email, I’d love to connect!

*Lara Roketenetz Project Wingspan State Coordinator, Ohio
lara at pollinator.org <lara at pollinator.org> *
Thank You Project Wingspan Volunteers!
One of the aspects of this project that excites Pollinator Partnership the
most is the ability it has to bring people of good will together for a
common goal, which benefits all who participate. Thanks to amazing
partnerships and local project leadership, this initiative has been able to
tap into many local conservation efforts throughout our target states and
bring added value to the great work that they’re already doing. By
providing a plug-and-play effort complete with training resources and a
protocol, Project Wingspan has been able to help universities, land
trusts/conservancies, parks, federal/state lands, and others to further
develop skills in seed collection as well as a trained community of
volunteers who are eager to contribute this knowledge to their local
conservation community long beyond the conclusion of this short-term
project. Many collection locations have also qualified to receive
regionally appropriate native seed or plugs from the project by completing
our online habitat survey
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=3db3723527&e=eb843138ac>
and will also benefit directly by receiving plant materials to further
enhance their lands for imperiled pollinators and other wildlife!

A mighty thanks goes out to our many volunteer seed collectors, Team Leads,
and participating land stewards and collection locations throughout
Arkansas, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and
Wisconsin! Only through wonderful examples of on-the-ground partnership and
collaboration such as the one we’ve highlighted today is it possible for us
to achieve landscape level change for these pollinators which are
desperately in need of our support in improving habitat to provide for
their migratory, nesting, foraging, reproductive, and shelter needs.

Over the coming months, we’ll be sharing more stories, updates,
partnerships, and successes from across our project’s geography. So stay
tuned!

*Warmest Regards, Pollinator Partnership and the Project Wingspan Team*
Join Project Wingspan!
To learn more about Project Wingspan please visit
https://www.pollinator.org/wingspan/
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=17cf3aa524&e=eb843138ac>
.

To see our list of target plants and sign-up as a potential seed collection
location please fill out the online form here:
https://tinyurl.com/PWseedsite
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=7f72c4f72e&e=eb843138ac>

We’re continuing to build additional volunteer seed collection teams. If
you’re interested in joining or forming a team, please let us know by
contacting the State Coordinator for your state!

*State Coordinators:*

*Arkansas: *Sara Wittenberg <sw at pollinator.org>
*Illinois:* Holly Frainer <hf at pollinator.org>
*Indiana:* Emily Yates <ey at pollinator.org>
*Michigan:* Connie Crancer <cc at pollinator.org>
*Minnesota:* Kyla Tripp <kt at pollinator.org>
*Ohio: *Lara Roketenetz <lara at pollinator.org>
*Pennsylvania:* Joe Hovis <jh at pollinator.org>
*Wisconsin: *Laura Jach Smith <ljs at pollinator.org>

PROJECT WINGSPAN SIGN UP
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=d915b22131&e=eb843138ac>
<http://us17.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=fd969da46b&e=eb843138ac>
to a Friend
<http://us17.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=fd969da46b&e=eb843138ac>
info at pollinator.org <info at pollinator.org?subject=Pollinator%20Action%20Team>
415-362-1137
475 Sansome St., 17th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111

You can update your preferences
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/profile?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=b889361034&e=eb843138ac>
or unsubscribe from this list
<https://pollinator.us17.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=d3fc276110a2ce56101ecad16&id=b889361034&e=eb843138ac&c=fd969da46b>
.

*Copyright © 2020 Pollinator Partnership, All rights reserved.*

--

Kelly Rourke

Director of Programs and Operations

Pollinator Partnership

475 Sansome St., 17th Floor

San Francisco, CA 94111

e:  kr at pollinator.org

w:  www.pollinator.org
o:  415.362.1137

c:  585.255.0962

[image: cid:image002.jpg at 01D1AB75.BF85B7F0]
<http://www.facebook.com/ThePollinatorPartnership>[image:
cid:image003.jpg at 01D1AB75.BF85B7F0] <http://twitter.com/Pollinators>[image:
instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/pollinatorpartnership/>[image:
cid:image005.jpg at 01D1AB75.BF85B7F0]
<http://www.youtube.com/user/PollinatorPartners>

[image: cid:image006.jpg at 01D1AB75.BF85B7F0]
<http://pollinator.org/index.html> [image: bee_friendly_Farmer_logo_CMYK[1]]
<https://www.pollinator.org/bff>

<https://www.pollinator.org/monarch/mwaa>