[Pollinator] New in Santa Fe: Pollinator Trail and Habitat Kit Program

Matthew Shepherd matthew.shepherd at xerces.org
Sat Apr 10 06:10:58 PDT 2021

In New Mexico, we have partnered with nonprofits and local agencies in the
city of Santa Fe to launch a Pollinator Trail project that will create
connected, climate-smart pollinator habitat across the urban area. We’ve
mapped core habitat patches and corridors through this urban area, and will
establish new pollinator habitat where they will improve connectivity.
We’ll prioritize habitat establishment in historically underserved
communities of Santa Fe to provide more chances for residents to interact
with nature.

As part of this Pollinator Trail project, we are making “habitat kits”
available to residents and local organizations who commit to providing the
time, labor, and space to establish these plants in yards and gardens. Each
kit includes pesticide-free native plants grown by a local nursery.

Read more on our blog, *New in Santa Fe: Pollinator Trail and Habitat Kit
Program*

https://xerces.org/blog/new-in-santa-fe-pollinator-trail-and-habitat-kit-program

We can provide the elements of pollinator habitat in our own yards and in
public open spaces by planting a diversity of native flowering plants,
providing undisturbed nesting and overwintering areas, and protecting these
areas from pesticide use. There are many considerations when designing
habitat for pollinators, in particular when choosing plant species to
include in backyard or open space pollinator plantings. In the Southwest,
where temperatures are rising and droughts are becoming more severe,
prioritizing native, climate-smart plants for landscaping ensures that
habitat will rely on less water and will be more likely to withstand the
changing climate. This pollinator habitat is not only an investment in
wildlife. It is an investment in conserving water, creating beautiful,
livable cities, and providing outdoor learning and recreation spaces.

Recognizing the value of pollinator habitats in urban areas for people and
pollinators, the Xerces Society is launching the Santa Fe Pollinator Trail
to build connected, climate-smart pollinator habitat in an urban community.
We’ve used GIS data to map highly developed land cover within Santa Fe and
identify core habitat patches and corridors throughout this urban area.
This will inform our efforts to strategically place pollinator habitat
plantings to improve connectivity, as well as prioritize habitat
establishment in historically underserved communities of Santa Fe. This is
as a pilot program, and we hope to expand to other cities in future years.

As part of the launch of this Pollinator Trail program, we are expanding
our Habitat Kit program to offer kits of climate-smart, pesticide-free
native plants to residents and local organizations who commit to providing
the time, labor, and space to establish these plants in yards and gardens.
The plant kits each contain thirty-two perennials and one tree or shrub,
and are intended for use by residents of Santa Fe in their home gardens and
as well as for use by partner organizations in public spaces to feature as
demonstration or education gardens. The plants are all locally native
species that in combination will provide bloom from spring to fall. They
are grown by the Santa Ana Native Plant Nursery. This nursery does not use
pesticides and most of its plants are started from locally collected seed,
so the plants are well suited to local conditions. Three hundred fifty kits
will be distributed to selected program participants in Santa Fe this
September—that’s 11,550 pollinator plants heading to residential and public
gardens throughout the city!

Of course, this program would not be possible without an enthusiastic,
proactive community to help support it. Many local organizations, agencies,
institutions, and individuals are eager to partner with Xerces to develop
guidance and educational materials for habitat kit program participants,
incorporate pollinator habitat into their conservation projects, host
events and share outreach opportunities, assist with distribution of
habitat kits, and the list goes on! Many of our partners for the Pollinator
Trail are involved in a variety of urban conservation efforts: Save Water
Santa Fe is the City’s Water Conservation Office; the Randall Davey Audubon
Center’s specialty is environmental education; Santa Fe Master Gardeners
encourage and promote native plant gardening; and there are others—all of
which are closely connected to pollinator conservation.

----------

Matthew Shepherd

Director of Communications & Outreach

*he/him/his*

[image: Email-Outlook_Xerces-logo-CMYK]

Protecting the Life That Sustains Us

Connect @xercessociety on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/xercessociety/>,
Twitter <https://twitter.com/xercessociety>, and Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/xercessociety/>.

Visit xerces.org to read our blog <https://xerces.org/blog>, sign up for
our e-newsletter
<https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001HTk7N6nZumLPinBr8VACbNdTXCe732bGu6KpqC13JAKPti_HBe5xyr7t0p4mDfKe2dOsd-TB1qvv772s6GQfVa_SbKKfwBiwl4blH4KvCjq4dpmA2M9UNZ2axlQwu_1Gvjrl2Rb53WUZwsddwCzyorgxedLAaMy3>,
and learn what you can do.

Watch on YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiPLPJuySOgn6CbjkOxqLQ>.

Support our work: Donate <https://xerces.org/donate/>!

628 NE Broadway, Suite 200,   Portland, OR 97232,   USA

Cell: (503) 807-1577

Office: (503) 232-6639 x110

matthew.shepherd at xerces.org